Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tearout creating a dado using a Stanley 45

Have learned HOW to use a Stanley 45....making Gooves, rebates, dados, Tongue & Groove using the match cutters, and even using the Sash cutter. Have even made a couple other shapes of cutters, as needed. Haven't quite figured out the slitter, yet..not much use of it.

Was taught woodworking, metal working, drafting, and sand-casting...in High School Ind. Arts classes back in the 60s....might have picked up a few things, along the way. Not only did we have to draw up a picture/plan of each type of wood joint, we also got out the hand tools, and made each joint...and received a grade on each. Have worked in machine shops, a cast iron foundry, and as a Carpenter. Even made and sold furniture from my 2-1/2 car garage, until it became too much. Now I mainly make items for friends and family, sometimes, even for myself. And, if you used a rubber air hose back then....I worked at a place that made those hoses ( and have COPD to show for it) as someone had to make the black, red, green, and even white polymer compound to extrude the layers that made up a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post

I finished my training at Barnsley in 1964 and worked for thirty two years, exclusively in the trade, before a very restful and enjoyable retirement.

Cheers,

Charles
    That's an impressive resume…few people who hang out on forums have had that kind of rigorous training. I'd like to see some of your work. But I haven't renewed my membership either and don't plan to, so I wouldn't be able to see it here anyway. Do you post on Instagram by any chance?
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have learned HOW to use a Stanley 45....making Gooves, rebates, dados, Tongue & Groove using the match cutters, and even using the Sash cutter. Have even made a couple other shapes of cutters, as needed. Haven't quite figured out the slitter, yet..not much use of it.

Was taught woodworking, metal working, drafting, and sand-casting...in High School Ind. Arts classes back in the 60s....might have picked up a few things, along the way. Not only did we have to draw up a picture/plan of each type of wood joint, we also got out the hand tools, and made each joint...and received a grade on each. Have worked in machine shops, a cast iron foundry, and as a Carpenter. Even made and sold furniture from my 2-1/2 car garage, until it became too much. Now I mainly make items for friends and family, sometimes, even for myself. And, if you used a rubber air hose back then....I worked at a place that made those hoses ( and have COPD to show for it) as someone had to make the black, red, green, and even white polymer compound to extrude the layers that made up a hose.
    Congratulations?
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Mark, it appears that I was wrong about the nickers on the Gordon plane, that it is one iron with two knives.

I received an email from Steve Voigt today on another matter. He wrote it this morning but I only read it this evening. He mentioned that he will be at the Hearne Lumber open house (Oct 4,5) and will be showing his dado plane among others. It does not seem to be on his website, but it might be similar to one in the Seaton chest. He lives near Allentown.
    Warren; Steve has updated his website http://www.voigtplanes.com/dado.html