Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Track Saw--Wow!!!

Festool Track Saw--Wow!!!

As some of you know, I just purchased a gently use Festool Track Saw with several accessories for 33% of new or a bit less. I've used it for 2 tasks now and all I can say is WOW!. First I had to trim a piece of 3/4" CDX plywood. Even with that nasty stuff, there was no chipping and I loved how easy it was to set the track where I wanted the cut. This morning, I had 2 door slabs to hang and both need height and width trimmed. Again, the track saw made it easy and the cuts were flawless. Obviously, I waited w-a-y too long for this purchase!

Festool ships the TS55 with a blade optimized for chip-free cutting of veneer and melamine surfaces -- lots of teeth, and a negative tooth angle. That blade doesn't rip solid lumber very well -- it is kinda like trying to cut wood with a hacksaw. You'll probably find you should acquire a general-purpose blade too.

Added later... I might also say that the TS55 is a major tool in my arsenal.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 08-18-2019 at 5:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jamie, the right blade makes the most of this tool. The fine tooth ATB blade is good for laminates/plywood/thin crosscut but a rip blade is required for rip cutting solid wood.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Jamie and Brian. I actually got five Festool Blades in addition the one on the saw with my purchase. He has them labeled by usage such as "Ripping", "Aluminum", "Crosscut" etc. I haven't taken time to look the part numbers up to ascertain that they are labeled correctly, but it appears so.

Glad to read you like the saw. I have come to depend upon mine.

Is there a typo in your OP? Did you pay 33& of new price or 33% off new price​? 33% off on Festool is a steal, 33% of new price is grand larceny.

Doug, No typo. I paid 33% of new price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Doug, No typo. I paid 33% of new price.
    Good for you! I'm "green" with envy. (Pun intended.) I never find deals like that around here. Enjoy that fine tool!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just used mine on some very expensive steel siding, cutting from the backside with a negitive hook blade made for that purpose. Worked perfectly! I too find new uses continually as well. one word of caution, if you do a plunge cut, make sure you use the supplied stop on the track, just saying..........

Hi Lisa,

Glad to hear you scored on your purchase. You'll love the saw and the system.

Since you saved so much on the saw, you should take a look at the TSO Products GRS-16 PE Parallel Edge Guide Rail Square. It is invaluable for making fast, dead square cuts. I fussed with the Festool angle unit, squares and measuring before settling on the TSO square. It blows away all other options IMO.

Cheers,
    Mark

Agreed

I have had the 55 for several years. The enclosed photo shows a cut made in the floor when we re-modeled the place. That trap door is about 2.5x5’. The flooring was run solid over the door and we made the cut after finish. As Far as I am concerned the saw paid for itself on that one cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, So far I've been setting the track square with the Woodpecker 26X16 Square that was thrown in on the deal. I'll keep your recommendation in mind if I want something different in the future.

Lisa, be aware that there was a recall on the 55 a few years back. Might want to check the ser #.

I have the TS75, and its made me more than enough money to pay for itself. operations like the one Jack illustrates above are ones where the saw is uniquely poised to make a difficult situation stupid easy. I use mine less now that i have a slider, but it is still very useful for cutting odd miters, where its easier to cut to a line than to measure an angle. I dislike angling my crosscut fence too.

Last week there was a TS55 without a track for sale in Pittsburgh for $50. I was too lazy to drive 45 mins to go get it, and instead planned on meeting the guy after work on Monday. His house was maybe 5 min from my office. Long story short, it sold before I made it to work on Monday. Festool deals do exist, they just arent common.

LOVE my TS 55!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!