Thread: This Old House

Blog Entries

This Old House

I watch the show and really enjoy it.
    I recently subscribed to the magazine and just received my first issue. The subscription fee was nominal.
    I just received my first issue and really like it. I just thought I would mention it.
    I am watching the Houston Public Media station that is presenting a This Old House special.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-17-2019 at 2:26 PM.

Lowell, glad you like it. I was a subscriber for years and gleaned alot of ideas from those magazines when we re-did this home. Unfortunately, after looking back at issues from several years ago, I decided to let my subscription lapse. The newer issues lacked content and depth in the articles.

Blog Entries
    I find all of the woodworking magazines are lacking these days, but I still take them and read them.
    Old dogs get bored and need something to think about.

If you like the TOH magazine check out the Old House Journal, Fine Homebuilding, and the Journal of Light Construction at your library. I find TOH to be rather lightweight, and OHJ has gone that direction, both losing their earlier focus on DIY projects. I've learned a lot from the latter two over the decades.

I was all set to watch that special until I found out Bob Vila was going to be on it.

I lost all respect for him after he showed complete and blatant disrespect for one of the project homeowners who was unable to put in the usual "sweat equity" because he was taking care of a medical issue with one of his children. I don't know if it was what led to him being replaced by Steve Thomas, but I certainly hope so: he deserved to get fired for it.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 08-21-2019 at 2:35 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The best TOH-related thing I ever saw was Norm's book ("This New House"?) about the construction of his own home.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I was all set to watch that special until I found out Bob Vila was going to be on it.

I lost all respect for him after he showed complete and blatant disrespect for one of the project homeowners who was unable to put in the usual "sweat equity" because he was taking care of a medical issue with one of his children. I don't know if it was what led to him being replaced by Steve Thomas, but I certainly hope so: he deserved to get fired for it.
    So I'm not the only one that can't stand him. He's overbearing & obnoxious. Asks a trade professional a question & then interrupts said pro to tell him how to do his job. And on top of all that, he's really quite ignorant of how to build.

I gave up on This old House years ago, when it became This old Mansion. No longer relevant for me. More like an infomercial.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I love This Old House and am sorry that I missed the special. My smart DVR was not smart enough to record it for me. I'll have to look for it online or wait for a repeat. I didn't care for Bob Vila's manner either. After a bit of getting used to, I have enjoyed each host more than the one before. I also don't mind the expanding budget for the projects. It allows me to see top quality materials and workmanship, even if I will never have the budget to do something similar on my own home. Besides, there are lots of budget-minded remodeling and flipping shows to watch, all of which owe their existence to This Old House for creating the genre.

I quit being surprised when people show up on one of my job sites, and say, "This is just like This Old House on TV!" I always have to explain, "No it's not. That is a remodeling show. This is a real old house being put back like it was originally, and has nothing at all to do with remodeling."

Tom, How can you be so dismissive ?! It's really great when they find an old "media room" !

I always called that "the library" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

Vila outgrew the show. He was earning more doing commercials than TOH. As a public broadcast production they wanted Vila to give up his endorsements, especially since one was in direct competition with TOH sponsor Home Depot. Vila decided to give up TOH instead and increase endorsements, later starting another spin-off, “Bob Vila, Home Again” or some such title.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 08-23-2019 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.