Thread: Epoxy kit shelf life and hardener speed?

Epoxy kit shelf life and hardener speed?

I am thinking about getting the 2 to 1 epoxy kit from TotalBoat.com.
    Will I have any problems if I do not use the epoxy pumps for 6+ months at a time? will they gel up in the pump or any thing like that?
    Should I go with the medium cure time?

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I am thinking about getting the 2 to 1 epoxy kit from TotalBoat.com.
    Will I have any problems if I do not use the epoxy pumps for 6+ months at a time? will they gel up in the pump or any thing like that?
    Should I go with the medium cure time?
    Justin

If these are separate pumps, one for the resin and one for the hardener, it shouldn't be an issue. I've been using the same two pumps for a long now. If it is the system that also mixes it in the pump nozzle, then I do not know, as I have never used those.
    What you may more of a problem with is the resin crystallizing in the bottle and pump. If this happen, you just need to warm everything up until it returns to liquid. I've never had the hardener crystallize, just the resin.
    If the "medium" epoxy will fit within the parameters of ambient temperature, open time, working time, sure. There are a lot of ways to "trick" epoxy.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Shelf life is years, but I haven't found out how many yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Justin

If these are separate pumps, one for the resin and one for the hardener, it shouldn't be an issue. I've been using the same two pumps for a long now. If it is the system that also mixes it in the pump nozzle, then I do not know, as I have never used those.
    What you may more of a problem with is the resin crystallizing in the bottle and pump. If this happen, you just need to warm everything up until it returns to liquid. I've never had the hardener crystallize, just the resin.
    If the "medium" epoxy will fit within the parameters of ambient temperature, open time, working time, sure. There are a lot of ways to "trick" epoxy.
    Yes 2 separate pumps this kit http://www.totalboat.com/product/hig...21-epoxy-kits/

• fast medium slow
    • Gel Time at 77°F (150g mass) 10 min 25 min 40 min
    • Tack-Free Time at 77°F 2 hrs. 3 hrs. 5 hrs.
    • Full Cure at 77°F 2 days 3.5 days 5 days

Many, many variables. And not all resin is the same. Nor are the intended uses of various resin types. When in doubt, consult the manufacturer's spec & MSDS sheets.

On the shelf life question: Storage methods can & will play a part. My experience is that resin clarity & strength takes a hit on dated shelf life resins. My practice is to try to stay withing a 6 month usage window & properly store. If I know I will not be using the pumps again in the near future, I will do a preventive cleaning. There is an abundance of information on the popular brand epoxy resins. Ie. https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/epoxy-shelf-life/

On the medium cure resin question, without knowing additional details (needed pot life, mix quantity, temps, your work habits/speed, etc.), it is difficult to answer. My suggestion is to start with a small project & quantity to gain experience. Again, there is an abundance of information, videos, etc. available so the learning curve is usually pretty quick. Good luck with the project.

Justin
    I think your fine. My experience has been primarily with System 3 and West, but I'm confident that product line is the same.
    I personally prefer epoxy over traditional adhesives. I like the flexibility with the use of epoxy. I also spent a lot of years working in boat yards, so it's a product I understand. It's more expensive, but I still like it better.
    The medium cure should suit you just fine in a wood shop.
    As Tom stated, I have yet to find the shelf life limit for epoxy.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

We use West System. The epoxy resin itself gets a little thicker and the hardener turns a dark amber color but they still work fine. If the amber color is ever a problem then you would need fresh hardener.

Have West system that is now almost 5 years (gallon) and still works fine as far as I know.
    I have never heard of shelf life for these products. They last years....

I've got epoxies and hardeners that are pushing 30 years old and still work fine.

One thing to watch out for, though, if you use plastic jugs is leakage. I had a jug of hardener spring a leak in the house, and almost ended up living in the dog house.

If you store resins and hardeners together, a leak of resin + hardener at the same time in the same place is a good recipe for a fire...