Thread: Turner's elbow?

Turner's elbow?

No, I don't have turner's elbow but I do have a turner's wrist now as the tail stock wasn't far enough away to get my elbow in while buffing a small project.

When you aren't using it, remove that live center folks!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-17-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Oh the lessons we learn the hard way!!!! Been there.....done that......didn't like it then and it's a sore reminder today.....
    Thanks for the reminder Fitz!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well hey there Ken!!! Great to see you
    That exact thing happened to me yesterday. I swore to remove my live center every time.....right after I threw it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ouch! I've done this too.
    I just had a thought that I should turn a piece to fit over the live center. Or maybe better, a tennis ball slit to fit. It should be able to fit several sizes of live center.
    RD

Long ago, I remember a thread about, bringing to mind Jeff Foxworthy, You know you are a woodturner..... If you have a hole in your elbow from the tailstock...... I only did that a couple of times. Having the tilt away on my Robust made that easy to remove...

robo hippy

I feel your pain. Ten years ago after learning this lesson all too often, I kludged this up out of desperation...............

IMG_3151ec.jpg

Its ugly, but cured my bad habits.
    Dick Mahany.

Just as bad is having your forearm slide or bump across a freshly sharpened skew. Not too fun either. Leaves as nice blood trail for the dog to follow.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Long ago, I remember a thread about, bringing to mind Jeff Foxworthy, You know you are a woodturner..... If you have a hole in your elbow from the tailstock...... I only did that a couple of times. Having the tilt away on my Robust made that easy to remove...

robo hippy
    I remember that thread. Good times
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

basically turners elbow, shoulder, wrist, and hand are the reason i got out of turning
    couldnt deal with not sleeping due to the burning pains down my right side

I bought a Jet 10-15 Mini Lathe a couple of years ago. I rebuilt it and could not find an extension for it. I finally got an Excelsior from Rockler and it worked but I had to drill new holes. The reason I wanted the extension was not to turn long spindles but to get the tail stock out of the way when I was turning on the end of something. I have a Nova 16-44 and I bought the extension with the hinge for that very same reason. I move the tail stock on to the extension and can then use the hinge to move it even farther back and point in the opposite direction. I could use the extension for longer spindles but I am just happy to get the tail stock further away. Ouch! Son of a Gun, I did it again.

I turned a wood elbow saver piece to fit over the end of my Oneway live center on my Powermatic 3520B. I usually have the live center extended about 3" to give clearance for banjo. The elbow saver is also useful to use as a non penetrating point to apply pressure to a piece and not have the point hole. I put a yellow tape band around the elbow saver to help find it if it gets knocked off into pile of shavings.

Swing away tail stock rocks.