Thread: What's a good wire for repairing a chain link fence?

What's a good wire for repairing a chain link fence?

I have a chain link fence and places in its wires have been snapped by the trunks of a lady bank's rose that grew through it. What's a good type of wire for making repairs. I don't need a repair that is sturdy and invisible. It's sufficient that the repair support plastic "privacy strips" threaded through the links.

One answer would be aluminum wire, which would be easy to work with. But would contact between different metals create a corrosion problem?

A picture of the repair you are trying to make would help but maybe nylon zip ties?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    A picture of the repair you are trying to make would help but maybe nylon zip ties?
    Are there "exterior" zip ties? They'd have to hold up in the weather - mostly sunny in southern NM.

Stephen, I have always bought a short length of fence from a fence supplier. I twist a strand out of the new piece of fence. Then I twist out the broken pieces from the damaged fence and twist the strand from the new fence into the damaged fence to replace those pieces that were removed.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Stephen, I have always bought a short length of fence from a fence supplier. I twist a strand out of the new piece of fence. Then I twist out the broken pieces from the damaged fence and twist the strand from the new fence into the damaged fence to replace those pieces that were removed.
    +1, this is what I have done and it works well.

Blog Entries
    Ken and Paul nailed it.

You might need a fence stretcher after installing the repair section.

No direct experience using them for your application but I see uv stabilized zip ties for sale on Amazon and I've used zip ties on my kayak deck with no problems. Again it depends on the kind of repair you are making.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    No direct experience using them for your application but I see uv stabilized zip ties for sale on Amazon and I've used zip ties on my kayak deck with no problems. Again it depends on the kind of repair you are making.
    I'm glad to know that even if I don't use them for the fence. Zip ties are very handy.

Galvanized fencing wire works well, you can loop it through then twist to draw everything tight. I've got a 1000 ft spool of #10 that should pretty much keep me going for as long as it takes.