Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall Case Oak Clock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tall Case Oak Clock

I've just completed my most complicated project so far - a tall case oak clock based on the plans from Norm Abram and the New Yankee Workshop. From first rough stock into the garage to accurate timepiece in the hall was just about 8 months to the day. The plans I got were very outdated and detailed a movement kit from Klockit - the kit does not exist anymore, but I did manage to put together all the bits with the great help from their customer service. They fished through old catalogs to help me out. I want to do a series of posts of my work on this project with modern part numbers, etc, just in case it helps someone out.
    final.jpg

Looks great - congratulations! When you do detailed posting, please include information about the clock mechanism, such as where others could buy the equivalent.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Beautiful work! I'm looking forward to seeing the follow on thread.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

William, that is a fine clock. I love tall case clocks.

Very, very nicely done. Post the details and some more pics.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Wow! That's really nice!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful. Very nicely done.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Well done!

This'll take several posts! I will preface all my posts and info with the following - I'm not much for advertisement, and I have no patience for it in social media. I will do my best to crop out tools, etc, and simply advocate for the methods where I can. You pick what tools and methods work for you. I will post details when it matters - for example, the movement part numbers, details on the finish I achieved, etc.

Material prep was fun. I acquired all the stock from a hardwood dealer in southeastern Pa. I get most of my stuff in Chester and Lancaster counties. This particular project all came from Groff & Groff in Lancaster county. Stellar stuff, and the proprietor there is extremely helpful when you can't find what you are searching for in the racks. Some of my stuff came from new piles just out of the kiln upon request.

rough.jpgrough2.jpgrough3.jpg

It looked great in the rough, so I knew this was going to be a nice piece straightaway.

I'm working with an 8 inch jointer and a 12 inch planer, so I usually buy with those limits in mind. These pieces I had to be patient, consult my cut lists, and between a track saw and the above mentioned jointer and planer, I got everyone cut to rough sizes and pieces I could machine. Buy a track saw. I don't care what brand, but buy one. In addition to breaking down sheet goods, its uses are myriad. I was able to get jointer-quality cuts utilizing mine - this saved a lot of headache and time in material prep, and a quick jointer pass rendered perfect material.

wider.jpgwidest.jpgsled.jpg

Ok, I had to resort to a sled for the piece that would eventually become the side panel inserts, but between a track saw and this sled, we were good! The resaw job on the panels was an experience I do not want to relive on my current bandsaw, but I survived with some colorful additions to my vocabulary.

largepieces.jpgpanels.jpg

The side panels and door were all machined in parallel. All mortise and tenon joinery, and cut with a floor standing mortiser with freshly honed chisels.

allmortises.jpg

The side panels have a groove that holds the panel insert, and eventually the removable slats that conceal the movement and allow access to adjust the works. These required haunched tenons at the top and bottom. The door is rabbeted for the glass, and required tenons to account for that rabbet. The parts for the sides and door were machines in parallel, and the tenons cut with a dado stack and a tenoning jig on the table saw.

roughparts.jpgparts.jpghaunched.jpg

Quite a bit of cleanout on the mortises was required and fitting was a several hour process, but I got there.

fitting2.jpgfitting1.jpgroughpanels.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

The side panels were completed in a few stages. The inserts float in a 1/4-in wide groove in the rails and stiles. Only the mortises and tenons get glue.

gluesides.jpg

Once those are glued and ready, several steps of post processing. A groove is machined to capture the case bottom (1/4-in QSWO ply) - Norm did this with a router, I did it with the dado stack on the table saw. An arch is cut with a template and a jigsaw to render the corners into graceful feet. Then, a 3/8-in x 3/8-in rabbet is cut to capture the case back (1/4-in QSWO ply) - I did this on the table saw with the dado stack again.

sidearch.jpgsidegroove.jpgsiderabbet.jpg

I know I'm going to get some eye rolls here. The front of the case is tapered at 2 degrees. I assembled the front with the top and bottom rails attached with glue and pocket screws. It was monumentally easier to do it this way rather than mortise and tenon, and no one will ever see this. Sanded smooth after fitment, and it's good. The same arch is cut in the front to create feet with the sides, and a stopped groove is machine with a 1/4-in bit in a router with a straightedge. OCD measurements ensured this groove met the side grooves perfectly.

frontassem.jpgfrontjoin.jpgfrontgroove.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now, Norm and the plans called for assembly of the case using biscuits for alignment. I do not own a biscuit slot cutter, but I do have another popular joinery machine. The front and side panels are 3/4-in thick, so with control of depth, that machine will do fine. I dry fit the case with clamps, marked for joinery, and cut the mortises. By a happy accident, my bench is just shorter than the door opening on the front, allowing me convenient clamping for these operations.

fitfordomino.jpgfittingsidedoms.jpgfrontdomion.jpgpaneldominos.jpg

Glueing this up was a matter of careful placement of clamps so as not to mush the side panels, and patience. There was a little bit of forgiveness in this glueup, minor disparities in the sides and front were resolved in this alignment by referencing consistently off the groove, and all my sins would be concealed behind trim later.

I carefully measured for the floor and back, and cut those pieces from the ply - again, the tracksaw is the go-to here. The 2 degree taper is trivial with that tool setup. I could have gotten away with a straightedge and a circular saw (and more colorful vocabulary), but that tool saved time and F-bomb ammunition stores.

cutback.jpgbackfits.jpg

The back was fitted with #4 x 5/8-in brass wood screws and I lost those photos.

More to come later - home repair project awaits....
    Last edited by William Chain; 08-18-2019 at 1:06 PM.

I love the design. Simple elegance. I too am a QSWO fan. Regarding the pocket screw joinery....well played sir. You took a potential headache and executed a low risk alternative with flawless results. Smells like win to me.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Norm's prescription for the job... I thought about changing the pocket screws, but because it's just the face frame, buried and never to be seen again I went with it.

I'm very happy with the design. Fits right in with our home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I love the design. Simple elegance. I too am a QSWO fan. Regarding the pocket screw joinery....well played sir. You took a potential headache and executed a low risk alternative with flawless results. Smells like win to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    What Rob said. No eye roll here. Very nice work.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.