Thread: Anybody know anything about the rockwell 28-2C0 bandsaw?

Question Anybody know anything about the rockwell 28-2C0 bandsaw?

I just purchased a Rockwell 14" 28-2C0 bandsaw. When I was researching the saw I thought it was a 28-200 that had been mounted on another base. I could find a lot of info on the 28-200 but almost nothing on the 28-2C0. What I do know about it is that it is a wood saw not a wood/metal saw. Th motor is 3/4 HP. It seems very similar to the 28-200. I purchased it from a guy who inherited it from his father who used it to cut wood down to size for turning pool q's. The base is very heavy and sturdy. The paint matches the saw perfect so I think its the original base. Though I am unsure, as I cant find any that look like it.

If there is anybody who owns one of these or knows anything about it I would appreciate the input. I paid 250 for the saw. I needed something bigger than a 9 inch for some resew capabilities. Hoping I did good on this one as the closest one to this I could find near me was a 14" powermatic for $225. $25 more for a made in usa rockwell seemed like a no brainer to me.

Aaron00I0I_ijU2pfQ1Clc_1200x900.jpg00909_a0kJuZsdqo9_1200x900.jpg01414_4lSMBeRffl4_1200x900.jpg00Y0Y_15PAJYk0rwR_1200x900.jpg

My similar looking saw I put a piece of plastic split wire loom over the blade slot on the left. This helps reduce dust thrown up into the air with or without dust collection.
    Bil lD.

This looks identical to my Rockwell 28-200. Maybe you've got a mispunch on the nameplate, and you've got a 28-200?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    This looks identical to my Rockwell 28-200. Maybe you've got a mispunch on the nameplate, and you've got a 28-200?
    Looks a lot like my Rockwell 28-200 also, my first reaction was like yours that the nameplate was just poorly stamped but if you Google Rockwell 28-2c0 you get a bunch of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Looks a lot like my Rockwell 28-200 also, my first reaction was like yours that the nameplate was just poorly stamped but if you Google Rockwell 28-2c0 you get a bunch of hits.
    Most of those hits appear to be people looking for information, or auctions, where they would just repeat the misinformation from the plate. Like the OP I couldn't find any information that seemed official. If they misstamped one, it's very possible they misstamped many of them. Further for a different model it's odd that things like the info stickers are identical.

I needed something bigger than a 9 inch for some resew capabilities.
    You can install a riser block. The upper and lower cast iron pieces appear identical, so anything that works for a 28-200 should work. I personally bought a Grizzly kit on sale, and modified the holes to work with the pins in the Rockwell. You can also buy them done in that manner on ebay.

Andrew, you are probably correct on both the model number and riser block. I have one on mine and had one on my Asian copy.

Hey thanks for all the responses! I did not notice them right away as I thought I was going to get a notification.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My similar looking saw I put a piece of plastic split wire loom over the blade slot on the left. This helps reduce dust thrown up into the air with or without dust collection.
    Bil lD.
    Thank you for this tip that would be nice as it does throw quite a bit of dust around. I have it positioned near my shop door so I can open it and turn on a fan when I'm using it.

I had the same thought the only thing that led me to believe possibly otherwise was a pair of shoes for it at this website https://shop.polybelt.com/2-URETHANE...-T28-2COX2.htm

I hate Google as I did have way more hits this time searching 28-2C0 than a few days back doing the same search. Either way there is still really no info available about it. I have a 28-200 manual and the saw seems to be identical to the wood cutting model of the 28-200. It seems to be a pretty good saw. I am happy with my purchase thus far.

Also i know many fences will fit this saw but if any of you have a suggestion for one that is under 100 bucks I would appreciate it. I can clamp a board down for now but I would like a fence. I just dont want to spend a fortune on it as I still need some other tools for the shop.
    Last edited by Aaron Widmyer; 08-22-2019 at 1:51 PM.

Most of those hits appear to be people looking for information, or auctions, where they would just repeat the misinformation from the plate. Like the OP I couldn't find any information that seemed official. If they misstamped one, it's very possible they misstamped many of them. Further for a different model it's odd that things like the info stickers are identical.

You can install a riser block. The upper and lower cast iron pieces appear identical, so anything that works for a 28-200 should work. I personally bought a Grizzly kit on sale, and modified the holes to work with the pins in the Rockwell. You can also buy them done in that manner on ebay.

This is good to know as I will probably be interested in adding a riser later! Thanks for the tip on the grizzly riser. I think its going to be a good saw. I am going to get a new blade for it here soon!

How hard was it for you to modify the grizzly riser? I am seriously considering doing the same thing, as the delta risers are going for almost 300 US dollars.

Riser

Do you recall what grizzly kit you used?
    Thanks

The old arn guys will probably correct me, but I don't think that Rockwell put alpha characters in that pattern serial number, so it is likely that is a 28-200. The 28 looks over stamped, so it is possible that the 200 is under stamped.

I don't think this saw changed much over its lifetime, kind of how Unisaws didn't change much. My Pentair era 14" looks almost identical. This bandsaw is basically the template for all saws of this style including the Asian copies made today. It would not be surprising if current parts for those saws still fit or are easily modifiable, as noted by the riser block above.

Hi guys, sorry I missed your questions.

The grizzly riser kit I used was the anniversary kit because it was cheap, and I didn't want to ruin an expensive one. I got it for $50 on sale, it's still a little cheaper than the other version. In that case I had to grind off the original pins, and then re-drill and install new pins. The longer rod for the guides has a series of notches cut into it, but that doesn't seem to effect anything in my band saw. Other than that it was pretty straight forward.