Thread: White Oak Potting Bench

White Oak Potting Bench

Evening all,

I am building a potting bench for a friend of mine out of white oak and trying to figure out a finish. As I've been reading up on finishes I've wondered if I need a finish at all. White oak is supposed to be pretty darn durable. I'd like for my friend to not have to mess with refinishing it. Thoughts?

Thanks

With luck, Jim Koepke will weigh in. IIRC, he sometimes makes potting benches and sells them.

IMO (not having actually made one), I'd leave it unfinished and throw a tarp over it in the winter.

But let's see what Jim says.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks! I am leaning towards no finish.

I have a white oak sitting bench that is unfinished. It weathers grey and looks great. If anything, seal the end grain and raise the feet up off the ground or seat them on pavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have a white oak sitting bench that is unfinished. It weathers grey and looks great. If anything, seal the end grain and raise the feet up off the ground or seat them on pavers.
    I was thinking of covering the bottom couple inches of the legs with flex seal. Think that would do the trick?

I haven't used flex seal, but I've used epoxy. I am sure others have had success, but for my money, I could on anything contacting the soil to eventually deteriorate. That's why I think it's best to create paver or brick pads for the feet to rest on, and then to add a standoff that will keep the foot from resting in standing water.