Thread: Craftsman Align-a-rip fence help

Craftsman Align-a-rip fence help

I acquired what I think is an an align a rip fence and rails without any hardware and am having trouble installing it on a older craftsman contractors table saw. I read some owners manuals online and went out to the hardware store to get all the nuts and bolts. The manuals online say to insert the bolts into the t track on the rail and align it with the holes on the table saw, secure the bolts and call it a day. No problem with this part. The rail mounts to the table and looks like it’s in the proper position....until I put the fence on the rail. When I put the fence on the rail, the fence sits 1” above the table...so clearly the rail needs to be lowered about an inch. The problem is that if I lower the rail an inch, the highest part of the rail is below the table, so I need to come up with a bracket or plate to lower the rail. I googled and googled and could not find any mentions of brackets or other “special” mounting hardware to mount the rail. I also could not find any pictures of a fence that looks exactly like mine. The aluminum extrusion on my fence sits higher (about an inch) than the t-square portion of the fence, while pictures online show the bottom of the extrusion (almost) in line with the top of the t square. The aluminum extrusion says align a rip xrc but I’m questioning if it’s really a craftsman fence. I’m thinking it could be a similar fence and somebody mounted the xrc extrusion on it....or could it possibly be for a cabinet saw or other model with a thicker table top? The rail has 35” to the right and 12” to the left and the measuring tape is yellow. Thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    Obviously a picture of your fence and saw would help. I added this Align-a-Rip to my Craftsman/Emerson contractor saw.

Fence Extn 2.jpg

This fence went on a Rockwell contractor saw when I sold it and fit the same. It mounts as you describe via the t-slot. Is this similar to what you have? What kind of saw are you putting it on?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler