Thread: Roubo Bookstand Knuckles

Roubo Bookstand Knuckles

One of the first steps in making the one-board book stand is to cut through the board creating the space between the knuckle. I know of two methods and like neither. One is to use a fret saw threading it thru a 1 1/16 hole, reconnecting and sawing a kerf. Cutting straight in 2 dimensions is a challenge and the kerf is so thin the hinge is tight. The other method is Roy Underhill's pan saw method. stabbing and pulling through 3/4 stock is a physical challenge and took me 90 minutes. Does anybody have an alternative method or suggestion?

I made a small book stand several months ago and substituted my scroll saw instead of the fret saw to make those initial cuts, still a little cumbersome. I want to pick that little project back up when time permits as I think a small stand in figured wood would make a unique little cell phone stand.

If you are willing to use power, a multitool will do it in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    If you are willing to use power, a multitool will do it in seconds.
    I may have to go for power. I am looking for a 1/16 inch chisel.

I am using a 1/16 inch chisel and it works well. Hog out a hole and then use a keyhole saw. This chisel may be hard to find. TFWW carries them but they are out of stock.