Thread: Performax SuperMax 37HD Drum Sander - Good price?

Performax SuperMax 37HD Drum Sander - Good price?

Is $1700 a good price for a Performax SuperMax 37HD drum sander that is in good shape? It's 12 years old, has a single drum, 5HP motor, 3-phase (with a 3ph to 1ph converter included). Or, with this kind of age on it, would I be better off putting my money towards a new SuperMax 37 x 2? This is going on the second floor of the building my workshop is in, so if I didn't have to take into consideration the weight of the machine I would consider a wide belt sander also.
    Last edited by Jay Garvie; 08-15-2019 at 5:29 PM.

Yes, supermax makes a very similar sander currently and I want to say it’s $4-5,000. I had the same model and sold it for $2800 with extra sandpaper and a waffle/rubber belt. Highly recommend spending the $250 on the rubber belt.

I'd hold out for a 37x2 in the 2000-2200 range. Dave

I think its fair, maybe a tad high. Just another data point. I recently acquired 10 year old Performax 25x2, 5hp, DRO and with intellisand feature for $1000.

Whoops, completely glossed over the single drum and 3phase aspect of the OP's machine. My machine was 5hp single phase and dual drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Garvie View Post
    Is $1700 a good price for a Performax SuperMax 37HD drum sander that is in good shape? It's 12 years old, has a single drum, 5HP motor, 3-phase (with a 3ph to 1ph converter included). Or, with this kind of age on it, would I be better off putting my money towards a new SuperMax 37 x 2? This is going on the second floor of the building my workshop is in, so if I didn't have to take into consideration the weight of the machine I would consider a wide belt sander also.
    I picked up a single phase supermax 37x2 with 5 hp motor about 12 years ago for $1000. I felt like it was a steal. Couple of things to be aware of with the supermax.
    1. the drive table can be persnickety. I had a couple of times where it would work the drive belt into the side and was tough to adjust to keep it straight. I eventually was able to do so, but the drive belt is about a $300 piece of sandpaper- you don't want to screw it up.
    2. It is not a planer. Seems common sense, but when you are sanding really wide pieces, you must go slow. It will not hog off wood like a wide belt sander.
    3. Great dust collection is a must! I have struggled with this one until recently when I upgraded to a cyclone. In the past, the sander would either gum up and burn the wood or fill the entire shop with sawdust, both bad options.

I think this is a fair to good price at $1700, but that depends on condition and whether you would need to build buy a separate phase converter.

Seeing all the prices, I doubt anybody has come close to what I paid for my perfectly fine 37x2 with 5HP motor. $300CAD$
    When it was posted I thought the seller had missed a zero ($3000, which is about half the price of a new) seemed more reasonable than $300. I couldn't get there fast enough