Thread: Attn Boatbuilders: Old Growth Alaskan Yellow Cedar lumber in long lengths

Attn Boatbuilders: Old Growth Alaskan Yellow Cedar lumber in long lengths

Reluctantly, I am selling my stash of beautiful AYC that is long length and old growth.

529 lineal feet
    1” planed thickness
    7.5” actual width
    Lengths: 20’ (9 ea.), 16’ (7 ea.), 15’ (11 ea.), and 12’ (6 ea.)

I bought this lumber about 15 years ago thinking I would build a boat. It has been stored in a barn since then. When I bought it, it had been stored outside under roof since the 1950’s or 60’s, so this lumber was cut about 60 years ago. It is likely from the Tongass National Forest in Southeastern Alaska. It is beautiful wood and is clear except for a few tight pin knots. The lumber is very flat and stable. Moisture content is 10%-12%.

This lumber would make a couple of nice planked boats. Alternatively, if you wanted to make some money with it, it could be ripped into strips for stripped canoes (I don’t have the shop for this). If you are a wooden boat builder, you know how rare old growth lumber like this has become.

$6 lf. OBO Lot sale only. Local pickup preferred. Located in Madison, Wisconsin. PM me with any questions. Thanks, bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3045.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	414441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	414443
    Last edited by Bob Falk; 08-16-2019 at 9:38 AM.

I just forwarded this to a friend of mine who's about to retire and is considering a small boat build (his current hobby is building acoustic guitars, so not a stranger to wood--this might even make a pretty fair top!!). Hope it works out for both of you.
    earl

Earl,
    Thank you! This is some unique wood and I would like someone to have it that appreciates it character.