Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Veritas Flushing Chisel Handle & Blade Sets

New Veritas Flushing Chisel Handle & Blade Sets

I'm sure most of us have a flush chisel of sorts but this set looks pretty interesting;

05S3420s8.jpg

Find the set here.

"If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

On the couple of occasions I have wanted to trim something I could not reach with a regular chisel I have used a regular chisel bevel down.

I guess I'd rather they offer a decent set of thin blade Cranked Neck Paring Chisels instead. Only Narex seems to make those now and they're too short and too thick.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Craftsman Studios lists cranked neck chisels by Buck Brothers. I just looked and they show as out of stock. I have never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I guess I'd rather they offer a decent set of thin blade Cranked Neck Paring Chisels instead. Only Narex seems to make those now and they're too short and too thick.

I've been using prototypes of these for a few years now. Very handy chisels when there is a need.

I have also added a long, Japanese-type slick handle. I'll post pictures at some stage.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-15-2019 at 7:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    On the couple of occasions I have wanted to trim something I could not reach with a regular chisel I have used a regular chisel bevel down.
    Ditto

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Those would be a nice addition to your kit. I have often posted that my Woodcraft crank neck chisel is the cheapest but most used chisel in my shop. Here it is cleaning up a glue line on the current bench build:

benchCleaningUpGlueLine.jpg

It never leaves the bench and is used for everything but opening paint cans.

BTW, I like the fact they are firmer style.

ken

Blog Entries
    But, but, but Hilton, these are in inch sizes! Doesn't that go against your style?

Kind of interesting for a modern crank neck style chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    The mass in these chisels will help when paring. The broad flat backs are nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    But, but, but Hilton, these are in inch sizes! Doesn't that go against your style?

Kind of interesting for a modern crank neck style chisel.

jtk
    Jim, I'll just have to make sure all my plugs are sized in inches or I'll be buggered (double entendre intended).

Hilton; will you be using those flush cutting chisels for woodwork.

Driving around in Johannesburg is relatively safe, though carjacking is still fairly common. The best way to avoid any problems, make sure to keep doors locked and windows rolled up at all times. Should you park in a quiet or secluded area, be careful getting in and out to avoid potential thieves waiting to take your car.

There are plenty of safe places to go in Johannesburg as long as you follow the safety tips. Public transport shouldn’t be used because it’s not safe. As long as you remain in large groups and keep your eyes and ears open, you can have a great trip to Johannesburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hilton; will you be using those flush cutting chisels for woodwork.
    Perhaps but to give you some perspective this is what I carry in my car along with a Mora in the glove box, a leatherman on my belt and a CRKT folder in my laptop bag.

Becker BK2, all 1/4" of persuading steel.

41adQlsnb6L._SX425_.jpg

13. I am sure they are excellent quality, but I feel like I do about a lot of Veritas tools--they seem a little over-engineered. The removable handle seems like a needless complication.

Blog Entries
    The removable handle seems like a needless complication.
    For some this might make it easier to transport a few chisels for work outside the shop.

For others it might be the option of installing a special purpose handle.

For me some old Buck Brothers crank necked chisels do the job quite well.

jtk

I assume it was to save costs as well, only one handle u must buy
    if u want a handle for each chisel, buy extra handles.
    Great offering, this is on my BUY list....
    Kudos to Robs team for continually designing high quality ww tools at competitive pricing....