Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley 4 Square Jack Plane tune up question(s).

It is very similar to the type 12 except for no patent dates, the missing frog adjustment screw and the side adjuster. The lever cap is different and I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    I will have to do something about the sole since some of the nicks in the sole are protruding and will mark the wood but the question now is: how much to flatten?
    I'd probably say "as little as possible." You can take the protruding nicks out with a file and see how it works. If it is good then stop. If you want to go further, there are plenty of posts on SMC that cover everything from a quick touch up all the way to full on lapped-on-a-certified-surface-plate OCD,

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I'd probably say "as little as possible." You can take the protruding nicks out with a file and see how it works. If it is good then stop. If you want to go further, there are plenty of posts on SMC that cover everything from a quick touch up all the way to full on lapped-on-a-certified-surface-plate OCD,
    That are my thoughts at the moment too, once "restored" it destroys any collectable value (if it has any to start with), you cannot "un-restore" later. Whatever I do, I'll leave the sides etc well alone. If it gets more wear because of use then that's fine, it is still authentic. The brass adjustment knob has more play that I like but that is part of the charm.