Thread: Footprint chisels

Footprint chisels

Does anyone know if the older footprint chisels are any good. I have one set of firmer chisels I was thinking of buying on ebay. It said they were made in the late 80's.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    Does anyone know if the older footprint chisels are any good. I have one set of firmer chisels I was thinking of buying on ebay. It said they were made in the late 80's.
    My main reason against the set found by searching > footprint chisel < is that it is a metric set. It was the only six piece set with wooden handles listed the price doesn't seem too excessive.

My preference in the shape of a tool's handle would also have me passing on this set.

My only experience with anything Footprint is a mallet bought back in the '80s. It is still used at times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a set of large "firmer" chisels from Footprint, from the same era. The backs required extensive flattening and the steel is soft (not suitable for driving with a mallet).

Current Narex production is superior.

I guess I will be the contrarian in this crowd. I have a set of the bevel-edge chisels and prefer them to my Lie-Nielsens. They fit *my* hands better and the edges last longer. Looking at the backs, Judging from the scratch pattern, I did not have to spend much time flattening them. YMMV
    Mike
    FWIW Blue Spruce are my favorites

Chisels.jpg
    Footprints are the top row, except for the two marples on the left
    Last edited by mike holden; 08-16-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    I have plastic shoe boxes with chisel in them. I bet Jim Koepke does also.

i have a set of four Footprint chisels purchased in the early 90's and the blades are made of Sheffield Steel England. The wood handles measure 5 1'4" and I use them every chance I get. The blades are secured to the handle with a steel ring. The set I have is the same pictured on ebay except i have a set of 4 ranging 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1". My chisels have withstood a lot of mallet pounding and they stay sharp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-soc...MAAOSwdX5c0Caw

I found both the firmer chisels (set of four) and a set of smaller bench chisels; both unused in the boxes for around 120.00. They have shown to be pretty flat and are probably slightly harder steel than the new Stanley 750 set I got a few months ago. I can usually tell by how hard, or easy it is to flatten the backs with a dmt coarse diamond stone.
    Thanks all for your help.
    Where did I put those band aids?

The older ones are fine. Ubiquitous in professional shops in England in the 60s and 70s.