Thread: Pricing recommendation?

Pricing recommendation?

I'm selling some equipment locally I no longer use. One item is a PSI Tempest cyclone with a 2 hp 3 phase motor. It comes with a Teco AC converter which supplies the 3 phase voltage from standard 220 Volt input. It's mounted to a wood frame that's kind of, well homely. It has a 5 inch inlet with a 6 inch adapter for standard metal pipe. I honestly have no idea what to ask for this. It works great but has no filter on the outlet as I had it vented through the wall. Anyone care to venture an appropriate value that's fair to both seller and buyer?IMG_5421.jpgIMG_5426.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I’d start with how much it cost new (it’s discontinued right?), then compare to prices of new cyclones that are comparable and go from there. 50% of new is a good starting point.

While venting without a filter worked okay for you, it is unusual for most users. That means you either have to find that rare buyer who doesn't need the filter, or you have to accept a big discount on your price to encourage a buyer to gamble that he can fit a filter on to a discontinued cyclone.

The 50% of new recommendation above is a good starting point. One way to help negate the "missing filter" issue is for you to do the leg work and find a filter that will fit the unit. Then, if someone is interested in the unit, you can provide them with the information to alleviate the buyer's "gamble".

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    The 50% of new recommendation above is a good starting point. One way to help negate the "missing filter" issue is for you to do the leg work and find a filter that will fit the unit. Then, if someone is interested in the unit, you can provide them with the information to alleviate the buyer's "gamble".
    That's a good strategy, but I think you'd not only have to provide the filter, but also the mechanical connecting ductwork. If I were a potential buyer, I'd be concerned about trying to source a proprietary duct for a discontinued product from a company that doesn't do cyclones any more.