Thread: Please recommend flush trim router bit

Please recommend flush trim router bit

I have minimal router experience, one successful set of laminate counter-tops and a bit of ocassional solid wood edge routing.

Have PC 310 little router, and full size older PC router w optional 1/2" collet.

Need to flush trim, actually ideally a slight bevel 1/4" plywood slightly rough overhanging
    1 1/2" x 1 1/2" pine.

Basically making a few torsion box tabletops the shape and size of old fashion "Toepincher" casket with 1/4" american ply skins both sides, 2" total thickness...trimming one side at a time.

No inside radiuses. all straight edges, toepincher casket lid shape.

In my case the bearing will ride against the core lumber acting as the template... at the bottom or end of bit.

So, I have searched and read archived posts and decided I want to find a bit w a short cutting flute length and ?larger? diameter like 3/4" ? cutter.

Straight flute ?

Up or down spiral ?

? "Compression" ???

I think I would rather use my 310 w very light cuts so I can "feel" what I'm doing, rather than the heavy two handed full size router.

I am concerned about tearout when going the normal correct direction on uphill grain, so plan on careful climb cutting where necessary.

OK to use the little handheld ???

So I guess I'm asking if this bit is OK w a 1/4" shank and the little router... and any recommendation for specific bit.

Due to shape of workpiece some of my cutting will be at angle of grain.

I have a grand total of like 70 lin ft to trim total and may not need this bit ever again.

Lastly, rather than straight I would prefer like a ballpark ?20 ? degree like is commonly used as the final edger on lam countertops.

*** Will I be OK w one marketed for that purpose ?

Point me to a specific bit maybe... $25 ? range.

Thank you all, Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 08-14-2019 at 9:36 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Blog Entries
    Visit Lee Valley or other tool vendors, they all have them.

Yes, I have looked quite a bit... much available.

Hoping for help to focus more for my situation.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Trim router will handle trimming 1/4 ply easily. I don't think a compression bit will work well on 1/4 material. Compression bits are 1/2 up spiral and 1/2 down spiral so they minimize tearout or feathering on both surfaces. The transition point between up and down has to be roughly centered on the material being trimmed. But all I've seen are designed for thicker material and if you try to center on 1/4 material the bearing will be 3/8 or more down from the top edge and that makes it easy to slightly tilt the router and gash the edge. Someone may make an appropriate compression bit, but I'm not aware of any. So I suggest a top bearing down cut spiral bit to give you the cleanest top edge. The bottom edge should be supported by your pine so feathering there should be minimal.

Another suggestion would be to get or make an oversize base for the router to minimize the tendency for it to tilt. Whiteside makes some nice flush trim bits.

I'll second the advise to look at Whiteside. I've had good service purchasing them thru Holbren.

check out YONICO bits on ebay

Google bits for sink holes in solid surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I'll second the advise to look at Whiteside. I've had good service purchasing them thru Holbren.
    I third the recommendation for Whiteside. If they cost a little more, IMO it's worth it. Never had a bad experience with them. Solid.