Thread: Rotary attachment for GCC laser...Generic from China?

Rotary attachment for GCC laser...Generic from China?

hello. What are the recommendations on buying a chick type rotary attachment for my GCC C180 from one of the China suppliers? Is there specific details which I must look for?
    Thoughts, please. We are new to the business.
    Thanks
    Brenda in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BRENDA WALKEDEN View Post
    hello. What are the recommendations on buying a chick type rotary attachment for my GCC C180 from one of the China suppliers? Is there specific details which I must look for?
    Thoughts, please. We are new to the business.
    Thanks
    Brenda in Canada
    Although it's not difficult to determine what stepper motor you need and how to wire it up, if you do it incorrectly then you risk damage to the mainboard in your laser which will cost you a small fortune to replace, even if you can find a replacement. It would be best to find a used one that was made for your laser and reduce the risk greatly. I googled it and the one for it looks almost identical to the one on the GCC Explorer that I had and sold to Kev a few years ago. Maybe you could talk him out of his? At the least you could probably get the info on the motor from him and the pinouts to connect to the plug inside the cabinet.
    If you want more info google "gcc c180 rotary" and you'll get some info to start with, including Jorlink that sells them for $1,295 new.

Same exact rotary as the Explorer, but with a shorter base. And I was a bit put off by the fact you have to remove the table to use the rotary on the 180. Maybe not HAVE to, but a video I watched showed removing the table as 'step one'...maybe the 180 doesn't have enough vertical clearance to just set it on the table?

So being's these rotary's are servo-driven, what are the chances of finding any type of aftermarket solution?

Any used GCC servo rotary will likely be the same and should work, and a hacksaw will fix a cheap good working used one, as $1300 new IS a bit steep. (Gravograph only charged me $1200 for my LS100 rotary)...

Oh-- as for a chuck, I'm not sure this rotary would turn a typical heavy steel chuck- not because it's weak, but because it's FAST- any plastic 3-jaw chucks out there?
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-15-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have one similar to this...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dia-80mm-Ro...wAAOSwwPtcde7T
    About $500 with controller.
    I use a hot dog roller, 3 jaw, and and inside spring chuck.