Thread: Air Filtration Air Flow

Air Filtration Air Flow

I'm getting two Jet AFS-2000 1700CFM Air Filtration System units for my 40 x 40 shop.
    Question on placement...AirFlow.jpg

Should they be figure 8 or circular? (See attached)

I'm feeling Option A, and I think I've seen a post on this before, but just checking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boettcher View Post
    I'm getting two Jet AFS-2000 1700CFM Air Filtration System units for my 40 x 40 shop.
    Question on placement...AirFlow.jpg

Should they be figure 8 or circular? (See attached)

I'm feeling Option A, and I think I've seen a post on this before, but just checking again.
    My lungs tell me the circular arrangement will be more efficient. Also, the AFS-2000 will be overkill in a pair, the AFS-1000 pair will do the job. In my 18 x 44 main shop space, with a single AFS-1000 at about 7' in altitude and off to one side, I seldom have to set the speed at more than Low. High speed puts in too much turbulence (which will be an issue with the figure 8 arrangement.) You want smooth flow, not crud stirred up for the heck of it. Yes I have a Dylos, and monitor it.

I have a AFS-1000 and AFS-2000 in a similar sized shop (albeit with a lot taller ceilings). Together in a circular pattern, they work incredibly well.

I'm also thinking that two AFS-1000 units would be sufficient. Plus the AFS-2000 is significantly louder, and much heavier to install.

As opposed to Doug, I do set my units sometimes to high for short periods of time, as they clear dust from the air VERY quickly that way. And I also monitor mine with a Dylos meter. I can easily get to 1/3 ambient particles in about 10-15 minutes. In other words, far better than the air quality in the rest of the house and outdoors.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have a AFS-1000 and AFS-2000 in a similar sized shop (albeit with a lot taller ceilings). Together in a circular pattern, they work incredibly well.

I'm also thinking that two AFS-1000 units would be sufficient. Plus the AFS-2000 is significantly louder, and much heavier to install.

As opposed to Doug, I do set my units sometimes to high for short periods of time, as they clear dust from the air VERY quickly that way. And I also monitor mine with a Dylos meter. I can easily get to 1/3 ambient particles in about 10-15 minutes. In other words, far better than the air quality in the rest of the house and outdoors.
    When you turn them on can make a significant difference. If I anticipate a lot of dust, I'll turn on the cleaner in advance, then it never gets to the point that the air is clouded with dust. Of course it doesn't always work out that way. :^)

BTW, re installation, what I did (solo install) was as follows. After the hooks were installed in the ceiling, and with the cleaner at ground level, I hung the unit by chains extending from the unit (still on the ground) to the ceiling hooks, and then extended the unit up vertically 3 or 4 links at a time, alternating ends, until it was at the desired altitude, standing on a ladder as necessary. Then I cut off the extra chain lengths with a bolt cutter. Easy peasy, as long as you can physically lift half the weight of the unit, which wouldn't be hard even for the AFS-2000.

Chain is cheap, and you never know when you're gonna need some extra around the shop.

BTW BTW, an issue with the AFS-2000 is that, as I recall, the Low speed is significantly higher (air flow wise) than the AFS-1000 Low, so you lose the ability to run the unit at that Lower speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    BTW, re installation, what I did (solo install) was as follows. After the hooks were installed in the ceiling, and with the cleaner at ground level, I hung the unit by chains extending from the unit (still on the ground) to the ceiling hooks, and then extended the unit up vertically 3 or 4 links at a time, alternating ends, until it was at the desired altitude, standing on a ladder as necessary. Then I cut off the extra chain lengths with a bolt cutter. Easy peasy, as long as you can physically lift half the weight of the unit, which wouldn't be hard even for the AFS-2000.

Chain is cheap, and you never know when you're gonna need some extra around the shop.
    That's what I did, but not so easy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    That's what I did, but not so easy.
    What was the difficult part of it? I must be missing something. :^(

That is, compared to the alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    My lungs tell me the circular arrangement will be more efficient. Also, the AFS-2000 will be overkill in a pair, the AFS-1000 pair will do the job. In my 18 x 44 main shop space, with a single AFS-1000 at about 7' in altitude and off to one side, I seldom have to set the speed at more than Low. High speed puts in too much turbulence (which will be an issue with the figure 8 arrangement.) You want smooth flow, not crud stirred up for the heck of it. Yes I have a Dylos, and monitor it.
    The area is 40' x 40' with sloping ceiling ranging from 18' to 10'.
    I was just doing using the calculation based on the air volume - hoping I didn't make a mistake.
    I thought better overkill, then under.

It would be at 9' high, I guess 1/3 in from the walls as I've seen most often.