Thread: JLT Clamp System - Anybody here using it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JLT Clamp System - Anybody here using it?

I'm in serious need of better ways to clamp up my work. I get large flat panel projects often enough to warrant me doing something about it. I've seen and read where several people really like the JLT Clamp system and I wanted to inquire of the group here to see who has one and how well do you like it.

TIA
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I’ve had one for almost 20 years. I would have preferred a reel but not enough room in the shop. For gluing panels you start at the bottom and work up. We also clamped house doors and cabinet doors in it till we bought a frame press. Not ideal for that but it works if you check diagonals.

My only complaint is the clamp ends are not coplaner with each other. Not an issue for edge gluing panels but it is for door staves. We overcame this with shop built torsion boxes.

We have the JLT panel flatener. I think Larry’s clamp might be more ergonomic if you need this option.

Hope this helps.

Only problem with those in a commercial shop is that some dufuss will glue one item at top of the rack, blocking further
    use. The racks need an adjascent convienient place to hold the clamps,and a strict requirement that one "start at the
    bottom and work his way up".

They make a single tiered setup that I'm interested in. It will do well since I'm a very small shop and I'm more single project kind of thing. I'm just looking for how well you like it, how well does it work and etc.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis,
    it looks like that one uses the same clamp. Like I said my only gripe is the handle ends do not line up coplaner with each other. I also have the add on jaws for thick material and that works well. I also see they have a manual flatner.

With single tier clamping you will not have much advantage over bar clamps on a shop built gluing rack. The advantage of bar clamps are they are easy to move with panels clamped. These clamps are heavy.

Thank you Joe! Much appreciate your feedback. I have a LOT of Bessey clamps that I've used for "years" and was just wondering if I was missing a really good clamp setup for making butcher block tops and etc easier/faster.
    Dennis -

Another option with bar or pipe clamps.

https://cggschmidt.net/cggwp/2019/02...-larrys-clamp/

I agree with Joe. If you’re looking at a single tier there isn’t much if any advantage over a good home made rack. The panel flattener would be a big advantage though.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I guess my misunderstanding about the JLT system was that it would have clamps that were similar to the Bessey clamps I have with coplanar jaws. If it doesn't, then their system doesn't really buy me anything except for taking my money.
    I have Bessey parallel jaw clamps and I also have a lot of 3/4" pipe clamps. I guess I use my Bessey clamps the most because I trust how they clamp my work. I typically only use my pipe clamps when I have large panels to glue up, primarily because I don't have Bessey clamps that are 12 feet long.

Now I need to find a wall mounted clamp setup for my panel glue ups.
    Dennis -

Dennis,

What is the model number of the single tier JLT clamp system? I've been contiplating the same thing and looked at some JLT systems at some local cabinet shops that make doors. They all seem happy with them but they take up so much real esate.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    Dennis,

What is the model number of the single tier JLT clamp system? I've been contiplating the same thing and looked at some JLT systems at some local cabinet shops that make doors. They all seem happy with them but they take up so much real esate.

Bill
    JLT #79F-6-1R Single Level Panel Clamp
    Price is around $1100 or $1300....I can't remember which.
    Dennis -