Thread: Sunburst veneer - perfect wedges.

Sunburst veneer - perfect wedges.

I'm making a veneer top for a desk, 6'6 by 4' in a sunburst. I've cut the wedges with a veneer saw and now I have 15 rough pieces to tape together. Not sure what the best way of smoothing the edges is, given the fragile points. Any suggestions?

Put a sun at the center of your sunburst.
    Seriously, put some sort of feature in the middle of the sunburst -- a round disk, a pentadecagon, whatever. This avoids thin fragile points on the veneer wedges. I'd make it from some contrasting stuff like burl. Or stone, like the crushed semiprecious minerals that turners use.

I always put the 2 mating pieces (with mating sides out) between 2 pieces of MDF or plywood. Align the edges and lightly sand with 220 sandpaper attached( I use self adhesive sandpaper on this) to a long flat piece of MDF. Do this process on each pair of mating edges. It is a slow process to get the edges perfect.....but possible.
    And if/when that fails, I go to Jamie's idea (if that wasn't part of the original idea) of adding an accent to the middle if the points break off. A lot depends on the type of wood veneer and how fragile the wood is when you're sanding it.
    Hope this conveys the idea.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 08-14-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I always put the 2 mating pieces (with mating sides out) between 2 pieces of MDF or plywood. Align the edges and lightly sand with 220 sandpaper attached( I use self adhesive sandpaper on this) to a long flat piece of MDF. Do this process on each pair of mating edges. It is a slow process to get the edges perfect.....but possible.
    And if/when that fails, I go to Jamie's idea (if that wasn't part of the original idea) of adding an accent to the middle if the points break off. A lot depends on the type of wood veneer and how fragile the wood is when you're sanding it.
    Hope this conveys the idea.

Jim

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I'll try the sanding and possibly a shooting board. Attached is a picture of the desk with the doors set in place for a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images