Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to drive large auger bit with 7/16" Powerdrive Hex shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    The points should fit in between the chuck jaws as mentioned before. True, you can't fit a 11/16 point to point inside a 5/8 hole, but a chuck is different.
    I'm in the camp that says you have a metric chuck that is smaller than 5/8 or it's not open all the way and could use some WD-40 or whatever you like to use to clean it up a bit...... It should work.
    I just checked my 1/2" chuck and it will accept 1/32" over 1/2". That's what I expected. Apparently 5/8" chucks are different? Not to my recollection from my machinist/tool and die days. I give Joe the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's talking about. I think he can knock the points down and it will still run true and chuck up securely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    EXCEPT that the end of the chuck has a circular hole that the jaws of the chuck move in and out of. If that hole is 5/8”, there is no way a hex shaft with a point to point width of larger than 5/8” is going to fit, as you said. Can’t see how a chuck with a 5/8” opening is different than a 5/8” hole...

Perhaps the OP can enlighten us a little more.
    My point exactly Bill. A chuck isn't different. They still have a hole that is the final limiting factor in what will chuck up in it. In my experience you can get usually a 1/32" larger than the rated capacity. The hole is what prevents going any larger.

Checking back in. The 5/8" chuck I have will accept a 5/8" diameter round and no larger. The 1/2" chucks and the 3/8" chucks are also limited to those sizes. Nothing bigger than 5/8" will fit.

I gave up and ordered another bit that has a 1/2" round shank. My bad in the first place for not noticing the shank when I ordered. I seriously considered welding (epoxy was a better idea) a socket on the shank but I was worried about runout and I also need to be able to pull the bit back out of the wood while running to clear chips so I figured I'd have to weld a cut off extension onto the socket.