Thread: 16" Radial Arm Saw help

16" Radial Arm Saw help

Hey guys, I just purchased a 1959 near mint condition Dewalt Radial Arm saw. I know RAS is out of favor these days, but it was a great price and the vintage aspect was too cool to pass up at the price I paid ($25). It is a 16" saw. Do any of you 16" RAS users have a blade recommendation? I'm having trouble finding many -hook optiones in that size.

Thanks!

haha oh my lord, $25?? Fantastic buy. There is a lot of bad sentiments towards RAS, but id love to have one of the big dewalts or a northfield setup for rough cutting parts. Theres a 20" dewalt in my area that would do perfectly at $500. $25 for the 16" is even better. Cant help you on the blade recommendation, but congrats on the buy.

Check with D&R saw in Dallas on Harry Hines just north of Walnut Hill Ln
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I run an Everlast blade on my RAS's.

Yes, they are 5 degree positive hook, but never an issue with these large heavy saws.

Thanks to both of you! I'll check out D&R. The saw has a 7.5 HP 3 phase motor, so I'm finishing up building a phase converter to run it. Will post some pics once it get everything in its final home.

Blog Entries

I run a woodworker on my GE. -5 deg hook. The blade is a screamer. I'd call the guys at Quinn saw. They'll offer good advise.

I've got a DeWalt 14 inch 3 HP that I run a Woodworker on now. I actually have several 14 inch blades for it (collected over the years) but just because it's a 14 inch doesn't mean you have to run that size blade. I've had better luck running 12 inch blades on mine most of the time because I just don't really need the depth of cut very often. I just think it's easier on the motor especially on startups - and I turn mine on often when I'm working out there.

You might check with the Original Saw Company. They bought out Dewalt's tooling and still manufacture the saws. My 16" has an old Systimatic blade on it, but they have gone out of business.

Blog Entries
    Might be worth contacting CT Saw in Connecticut. I just ordered a blade from them, they're boring it for the unique arbor on my Ulmia tablesaw. I'd imagine they deal with specialty type stuff on the regular.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thought I would share some pics of the new saw. I am building a phase converter for it, so I will try to take some pics and update you all along the way, too.dewalt 1.jpgdewalt2.jpgdewalt5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    https://www.forrestblades.com/woodwo...lade-60-teeth/

I had a 10" on my RAS before I got rid of it. Great blade.

Mike

Good find! I paid a lot more for my GE 16”. Check out the Dewalt RAS forums. Lots of good advice. I got a Forrest WW1 for mine, but I just started using it last week. Can’t offer advice on it. I’ll likely pick up a 12” Freud for plywood. I was able to get all my bearings locally from a bearing supply, made a huge difference on moving the carriage back and forth. Good luck! Oh, and check out the Mr Sawdust book and a book on radials by John Eakes. Lots of info on how to set them up.