Thread: PM3520 Lathe Mover

PM3520 Lathe Mover

So, I was re-doing my shop and moving tools around and thought I'd share my solution for moving a PM3520B around the shop. The mover is constructed form scrap 2x6 lumber, nailed instead of screwed and glued of course.... I used 3 boat trailer jacks that I happened to have laying around, and I'm not really sure how i ended up with 3 of them. The contraption is just enough to lift the feet of the lathe a fraction of an inch off the floor, so just in case things go south the lathe can't really fall over. Hopefully this inspires others in building their own lathe movers. Even with the cost of the jacks, it's still a bit cheaper than the fancy Lift-Lock n' Roll base they make for the PM3520.

lathe_mover2.jpg lathe_mover1.jpg under_lathe.jpg foot_off_floor.jpg

My club uses similar trailer jacks. Though they have 2 each mounted permanently to the legs, on the outside ends.

I made a temporary mover lift using 2 jacks on headstock end and single jack on opposite end. The jacks are mounted to a section of 3/4" plywood that has cleats to fit under the leg web both low and at upper side of cutout. The 2 jacks are set wider than legs for stability but 3 jacks ensure all wheels are in contact with floor under load. Mover is up in attic waiting for next relocation. It does not get much use but will work on unlevel floor where 4 wheels could be a problem. The trailer jack wheel will roll over some small bumps better than some of the smaller wheels of commercial units.

Well, as some one who turns bowls with the headstock moved down to the end, those trailer jacks are in the way. I did see 3 of them mounted on a Jet 16 inch lathe, and they were on the inside of the lathe, rather than on the outside. There has to be an easier solution that doesn't get in the way.... I need one for my Vic 240, just in case I need to move it or take it some where...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, as some one who turns bowls with the headstock moved down to the end, those trailer jacks are in the way. I did see 3 of them mounted on a Jet 16 inch lathe, and they were on the inside of the lathe, rather than on the outside. There has to be an easier solution that doesn't get in the way.... I need one for my Vic 240, just in case I need to move it or take it some where...

robo hippy
    Might not be the answer for everyone. I also suppose they could be mounted inboard. I also think one of those lift table/cart things would work for the occasional move.
    https://www.toolots.com/amarite-scis...YaAqVoEALw_wcB

I have a ballast box under my laguna 18/36 formed around two 2x12 boards. The ballast box holds about 400 lbs between sand and scrap metal pieces that I keep in it. I have a narrow pallet jack for my Felder saw and it fits under and moves my lathe without effort. Nothing permanent but you have to have room to store the pallet jack

Position the headstock and tailstock toward the center of the bed and lift and move with a motorcycle jack under the center of the bed. Not something I would want to do daily.

I like your solution. I have a Nova 16-44 which is not as heavy as your PM but I bought a hydraulic lift table at Harbor Freight and made a little wood carriage that fits under the ways and I lift the lathe up with the hydraulic table, move it and then use the table as a portable cart to put my tools and accessories on when using the lathe. You can always get a %20 off coupon and wait for a sale.
    Last edited by Guy Donham; 08-20-2019 at 2:05 AM.

Harbor Freight has a 1000lb capacity lift table that I would like to get, for moving the lathe and a couple of benches and desks that I have in the shop. Right now my solution only works with the lathe because of the way the top of the jacks stick above the platform, and the need to crank from both sides. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a coupon / sale combo.

The HF 1000 pound capacity hydraulic table is a real work horse. I have one in my shop and it is always working for me either moving material, machines or stacks of very heavy signs that I store in custom plywood boxes. I unload large items from my truck or trailer sliding the load from the vehicle to the table, it makes many jobs effortless.

I also have three of the 300 pound capacity tables that I use to move material from machine to machine when I have an assembly line type of sign job. I also have a pallet jack and I installed an electric winch on the beam that runs the length of me shop so I can lift stuff onto the tables to move it to the door. I try to take good care of my back these days, letting the machines do the heavy lifting. I store the light duty hydraulic tables in a shed between jobs.

That's a good point about moving material, Keith. Getting heavy blanks up off the floor mechanically would be nice. I've found a local builder willing to supply me with larger logs to my specs, so I'm hoping to get some 16"+ blanks in the near future and was not looking forward to lifting them off the floor.

Nice job Paul.

As long as we are on 3520 lifts I made a version of the Lock Lift 'n Roll. Always wanted to weld and this project was a good excuse to learn a new hobby:

MY LLR for 3520B

Your LLR clone looks awesome. I learned how to weld in my youth, but have not done so in years, nor do I have access to any equipment. Sometimes I wish I did so I could make cool stuff like that. Do you slide the head stock down and turn off the end of the lathe? Does the LLR get in the way of your fee at all?

Mike,

Great job on the Lock Lift 'n Roll.

Paul,

Years ago I had a 3 year contract to build very large corner cabinets for an entire school system. I made an extension table top for one of my hydraulic tables so we could use it to assemble the very tall cabinets and not have to kneel down on the floor. It was a life saver.

When I bought my first ShopBot CNC Router it came in a huge crate. I backed my pickup to the shop door and slid the 1200 pound crate on to my hydraulic table and lowered it to the floor. We then removed all of the frame parts from the box and started assembly, made the job very easy.

I could make a list of hundreds of jobs that the hydraulic tables have made possible, made them easier or saved my back. Can't work without them anymore.