Thread: Adding "soft start" to existing machine

Adding "soft start" to existing machine

Hey there. Looking for some electrical help. Is it possible to add a soft start feature to my existing shaper? I have an SCM 130 575V which I love but it really squeals from the belt when I start it up with my big tenoning disks. Was thinking that a soft start like on my Felder dust collector would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingston Johnston View Post
    Hey there. Looking for some electrical help. Is it possible to add a soft start feature to my existing shaper? I have an SCM 130 575V which I love but it really squeals from the belt when I start it up with my big tenoning disks. Was thinking that a soft start like on my Felder dust collector would help.
    A VFD will give you that, but I'm not sure how common 575v vfds are. Even though I have 3ph 575v in the shop, both of my shapers have VFDs on them. Soft start, motor braking and infinite variable speed is very nice.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Or just buy a soft start.
    Vfd would be a PIA on a scmi shaper.

One of my short list projects is to add a soft start solid state contactor to my 3HP dust collection blower assembly. It really screaches when the 3-phase motor starts, and I would like to tame it. My solution, which is a bit pricey but I bought it on sale, is to install a Carlo Gavazzi RSWT4012E0V10 starter to control the blower assembly. This will replace the ABB contactor I'm currently using. These are commonly used on pumps to spare the motor from the hydraulic shock during start up. The startup and shutdown time are user adjustable, or it can learn after a dozen or so starts.

Mike,
    You are only using a 3hp 3phase motor a cheap ebay VFD will work perfectly. I have two 3phase tools powered by cheap ebay VFD's for a little over a year. The tablesaw is a 5hp PM66 I programmed for 2 sec startup and 2 second stop, my dust collector is 5hp that I programmed for a 10 sec start and coast to stop, so I can start and stop it as many time per hour as I want.
    NO problems so far.

Steve

I have read that 3 seconds or more is the recommended stop time. Any faster and you risk unscrewing the arbor nut etc. Any thing like a lathe that has a lot of rotating mass needs even longer or the power train may be at risk.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bandirola View Post
    Mike,
    You are only using a 3hp 3phase motor a cheap ebay VFD will work perfectly. I have two 3phase tools powered by cheap ebay VFD's for a little over a year. The tablesaw is a 5hp PM66 I programmed for 2 sec startup and 2 second stop, my dust collector is 5hp that I programmed for a 10 sec start and coast to stop, so I can start and stop it as many time per hour as I want.
    NO problems so far.

Steve
    When I said I bought it on sale, it was a very deep discount and less than any inexpensive VFD I've ever seen. It was a one-time offer from an electrical contractor who wound up with one too many for a project and couldn't return the extra item. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

The one you have looks like much higher quality but at full retail price its a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have read that 3 seconds or more is the recommended stop time. Any faster and you risk unscrewing the arbor nut etc. Any thing like a lathe that has a lot of rotating mass needs even longer or the power train may be at risk.
    Bill D
    I probably should increase the stop to 3 sec

I've always considered that problem a head scratcher on the T130. Heavy spindle capable of turning huge cutters, 9hp motor, but driven by a single narrow v-belt. Mine is a squeeler too, even with 4" cabinet door stacks.