Thread: cutting 1 1/4" walnut with tight curves (1/8" bit)

cutting 1 1/4" walnut with tight curves (1/8" bit)

I have to do a room divider. It's 1.25 inch thick walnut. The cutting is a lot of really tight radius through cutting curves. The client asked for an 1/8" radius bit. Does anybody have a suggestion for cnc cutting that deep with a 1/8" bit?

I was thinking of using a 1/2" bit to make pocket cuts and then follow up with a long 1/8" bit doing a profile cut.

Any suggestions?

Hillel

Keep in mind a 1/8" radius is a 1/4" diameter. You can get some decent 1/4" endmills that have that long of a length of cut (LOC). Still slower than 1/2", but not as fragile or slow as 1/8" endmills.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Even a 1/4 inch bit is going to really be hard to do on that thick of material. Since when does the customer know how a CNC router needs to cut?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

If you really meant an 1/8" bit thru that deep of material, I have used a Rotozip drywall bit in my CNC mill to machine out a register into a solid walnut 3/4" board and could have easily done deeper. I roughed it all out with a 1/4" end mill and then finished the profile with the 1/8" bit to get relatively sharp corners. I don't know if you will be able to see it real well but here is a picture:

IMG_3939.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Lamb; 08-12-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Image is rotated
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Even a 1/4 inch bit is going to really be hard to do on that thick of material. Since when does the customer know how a CNC router needs to cut?
    Hi Bill,
    I think he meant that the client specified 1/8" radius for some of the cuts. Perhaps the client supplied a sketch or drawing to Hillel indicating this request.
    David

To use a small diameter cutter, you'd hopefully be able to clear material with a larger one first so you can take very light cuts. There are .125" cutters with about 1.25" cutting length--I have one--but those are really aimed at cutting HDU and other products like that. Now if the customer meant a .25" bit (.125" radius") you can cut that deep in multiple passes. I would typically use a compression bit for this work. In fact, I have an architectural job I'm cutting next week in 1.25" Extiera that requires .125" radius/.25" diameter corners on the inside curves.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...