Thread: Bearings for a Jet mini lathe

Bearings for a Jet mini lathe

Looks like (actually sounds like!) I need to replace the bearings in my Jet JML-1014I. Anyone have experience with a reliable vendor or tips to share? Appreciate it.

Boca Bearing in Florida . They are friendly and fast.

I have bought from
    https://www.vxb.com/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Good company. Get RS bearings not shielded for a woodshop.
    Bil lD.

Thanks guys. Appreciate you sharing your expertise and taking the time to respond. Cheers, Dave

almost every small city has at least one bearing shop. Take the old bearings in and let them measure. Tell them what for and that you want better bearing s than original. The guys at bearings shops are amazing. 40 years ago I needed new bearings for an Italian motorcycle. Dealership want $50 a pair, special ordered, paid in advance and 3 months to ship. . Got better ones for $7.00 a pair at the bearing shop.

Perry is spot on. There are many local bearing shops. If you can afford to be down for a few days you could also order off of ebay. I've used VXB and NSK and I think that they're both good companies.

Thanks again guys. To complete the story, I had found a website via a google search that sold the two bearings for a total of $70 plus shipping. That was before I posted the question. Based on the advice above I called VXB; they had the bearings for $5.50 each; expedited shipping was $10 so for $20 I had the bearings in hand a day and a half later. Looked at a tutorial on You Tube and tackled the replacement a few minutes ago. Hardest part was getting the set screws loose! In my case there wasn't a c-ring to deal with so the whole deal took less than 20 minutes and $20 (plus a grease spot on one of my favorite tee shirts!). Would have spent a lot more without you guys so like I said, thanks again. Cheers, Dave