Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting board

Cutting board

well I got the maple and cherry cut up for my moms cutting board. will do a glue up later than run it thru the planer for my final thickness. my sis and her boyfriend chip in half on the maple. I have enough wood left over I am going to make them a cheese board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great project, marlin. All parties will love your gifts. I also like the idea of your sister's & boyfriend's buy-in on your hobby and gift to your mom.

Good project. Make sure you use waterproof glue, such as Titebond 3 or epoxy. Somebody recently gave me some reclaimed teak and I made some cutting boards by piecing it together.

It will be very useful in the kitchen and your mom will love it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Good project. Make sure you use waterproof glue, such as Titebond 3 or epoxy. Somebody recently gave me some reclaimed teak and I made some cutting boards by piecing it together.

It will be very useful in the kitchen and your mom will love it.

Mike
    I always use titebond 3

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Great project, marlin. All parties will love your gifts. I also like the idea of your sister's & boyfriend's buy-in on your hobby and gift to your mom.
    Me too because I had to order the maple which cost about $45 + shipping but I bought the cherry 1"x2"x8' from home depot

Well got the wood glued and the final thickness done with my planer. So now will cut down to the final size my mom wants which is 12"X15" and sealed and finish with food grade mineral oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a comment - you can buy mineral oil at a pharmacy. Not very expensive, it's sold as a laxative. Obviously safe for human consumption.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Looking forward to the final cutting board Marlin.

Well got the grove routed plus the edges and the edges sanded and letting it soak up the mineral oil overnight I got in the pharmacy got 3 bottles $2.19 a 16oz bottle 2 to store.

68824323_708093809663279_350864721747902464_n.jpg

Looking good. You did well with the groove. For what my opinion is worth, I don't think you need to soak the board in mineral oil. Just rub it on, wipe off the excess, and then put the board in the sun to let the mineral oil evaporate. That's what I do. After some use I'll rub mineral oil on it again to brighten it up.

Mike

IMG_20190819_110902259.jpgWell got it done and it is ready for use by my mom.

Handsome piece, Marlin. She will love it. So you might have a tough time getting her to use it for intended purpose.
    Be prepared to see it hanging on her wall ...with your baby pics taped on !!

Nicely done Marlin! I am sure you mother will like it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well done! That board will get put to good use!

Well done, Marlin! Very nice gift from you and your sister.