Thread: Just for starters

Lightbulb Just for starters

Picked 4 boards at Lowes, this morning....killing a bit of time before Lunch. Boards are Poplar. Size is 1/2" x 5-1/2" x 24"....

Still have a few leftovers in the shop....and a 4/4 x 6 x 6' spalted Ash plank. been going back through some of my projects from over the years....

While letting the new boards get used to the house/shop....will be letting the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up doodle away....and see what I could build in September.

Hmmm...don't need another desk, have plenty of chest of drawers, haven't done finger/box joints in a while....may resaw and glue up a few fancy panels out of Ash...hmmm, we'll see..

Stay tuned....

For a second, lets ignore the fact that I have two projects active at this time.... Well, three really, but, I have been thinking about making a box to hold "stamps" used to leave a pattern in a wax seal (think fountain pens and similar).

I probably own 40 or more stamps. I was thinking about a box where it would lie flat and have the seal above it, but, really, to save space, i should probably make it deeper so that the stamp would stand on end so that I could get more in a smaller space (but it would be thicker). I suppose I could even have the stamp side up so that you can see the stamp. I would need to ponder if I could then have a sample stamp sitting on top of that to take even less space (length and width anyway). I need to think about how to best house them.

Blog Entries
    I have been thinking about making a box to hold "stamps" used to leave a pattern in a wax seal
    How about a thick piece of wood and drill holes with a forstener or auger to hold the stamps on end?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thinking an outer case of the spalted Ash...Maybe some shelves, or drawers with the poplar...might have enough leftovers to make some drawer fronts from the Ash scraps....

maybe a "Cupboard" sort of thing...to better store the smaller tools? And have it sit beside the saw til....

Still working out the details....stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How about a thick piece of wood and drill holes with a forstener or auger to hold the stamps on end?

jtk
    I have pondered this and I think you are right. I can even modify things so that there is an angled cut next to the hole for a place to put an instance of the stamp that will take less room. I can use rubber cement glue to hold it in place. It is some stuff I use when I do magic shows that is easily removable but will hold it in place.

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has come up with an idea.....a tool box, to sit between the saw til, and the mitre box. Might involve a few panel glue-ups....and build a few tool drawers, too. Have a 1/2" x 12" x 16" solid Walnut panel.....might use it for an insert in the lid.....

Might have a length of steel, to act as locking rods?

Haven't drawn up anything...yet...maybe after this weekend? Need to pull an inventory of all the scraps on hand, too.

Thinking more on a few deep drawers, instead of a whole raft of shallow ones...maybe 2" or 3" deep ones...maybe two "banks" of drawers?

back of the chest might be a 1/4" plywood panel....groove, or rebate? have to see what the lid will turn out to be, too.....

Stay tuned....