Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shops of the Not so wealthy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Mike, I'm really surprised that you have suddenly lost your creativity, a floor to ceiling stack of suitably filled Festool Systainers should be easily able to exceed $12K and fit in your shop
    I'm not sure that three tools is really much of a stack. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Mike, I'm really surprised that you have suddenly lost your creativity, a floor to ceiling stack of suitably filled Festool Systainers should be easily able to exceed $12K and fit in your shop

Regards, Rod.
    That might solve the space issue but it still leaves the $12K issue. For me, that's a big hill.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Fairly certain I'm over that $12K threshold, but it took me 35 years to get there. Actual "street value" today is much lower.
    I tried to buy quality when I could, but most of my machines are at the lower end of product lines. With a little work , elbow grease, and shim stock, they all work just fine now.
    It doesn't take expensive tools and equipment to do good work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    Yellow paint?
    think he was making humor about two Powermatic tools being in shop of not wealthy. Powermatic is usually viewed on the higher end even though there are many more expensive brands out there.

That shop looks like it belongs to the rich and famous.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I agree......I'm rich cause the VA gives me millions! millions I tell ya! Bought used for about 30% less than new. Here's a list just for the curious....
    1.Table saw,compressor,dust collector,16" planer. 1,500 for all
    2. Band saw 350.00 (wasn't running)
    3. Two drill presses (one was a pile of parts) 145.00
    4. Mortising machine (bought as a damaged unit and repaired) 650.00
    5. Edge sander, bought new and paid too much. 3,800
    6. Drum sander ( scratch and dent) 1,400
    7. Tormek T7 sharpener, used for 325.00
    8. Hand planes I bought all at garage sales or flea markets, with a few from ebay. Several hundred plus hours and hours of rust removal and cleaning.
    9. Bosch 1250 sander (re manufactured from cpo) 185.00
    10. Lots of other misc stuff like bits,blades,sandpaper,lights and so forth $???
    11. I almost forgot....a snow blower. Used for 500.00. Not much use for woodworking though.
    ..............wow, I did spend a small fortune.
    Where did I put those band aids?

If I counted up the material and labor from fixing up the shop building, and the labor installing the plumbing for the DC, think my shop would go into the rich and famous category. But I did it myself, and scrounged material from construction jobs, got the drop ceiling and the fluorescent lights from a buddy remodeling a church, and used scraps of waferboard, some windows from an auction, also the 1" styrofoam from an auction, and used machinery bought right, also bought a used bandmill to supply my lumber. Have not bought one piece of hardwood in the last 14 years. But have more than I can possibly use in the rest of my life. Setting up a dryer in progress.

I agree......I'm rich cause the VA gives me millions! millions I tell ya! Bought used for about 30% less than new. Here's a list just for the curious....
    1.Table saw,compressor,dust collector,16" planer. 1,500 for all
    2. Band saw 350.00 (wasn't running)
    3. Two drill presses (one was a pile of parts) 145.00
    4. Mortising machine (bought as a damaged unit and repaired) 650.00
    5. Edge sander, bought new and paid too much. 3,800
    6. Drum sander ( scratch and dent) 1,400
    7. Tormek T7 sharpener, used for 325.00
    8. Hand planes I bought all at garage sales or flea markets, with a few from ebay. Several hundred plus hours and hours of rust removal and cleaning.
    9. Bosch 1250 sander (re manufactured from cpo) 185.00
    10. Lots of other misc stuff like bits,blades,sandpaper,lights and so forth $???
    11. I almost forgot....a snow blower. Used for 500.00. Not much use for woodworking though.
    ..............wow, I did spend a small fortune.
    Dueane, I think what drew some of the commentary here was your reference to $12,000 and the title of your thread. "Wealthy" is a relative thing, right? You have roughly $7000 in power tools, which is great. But that's still more than some here can afford. (For example, many couldnt swing your edge sander.)
    I think that's all folks were getting at. Nobody meant to be prickly.

You obviously have great deal hunting skills! Look forward to seeing what you build!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I appreciate the sentiment. I hate those magazine articles featuring someone's new workshop-in-the-woods, bigger than my house, with all those fancy high end tools. Most of the guys I know have a corner of a basement with a lot of old Craftsman or new HF tools, and do OK.

Much of the same for me Jim. I have a new shop, which I built, and have a couple of new tools including a very fine slider, but most are those I’ve collected over 35 years or were given to me by family members. I built the cabinets and painted the walls. This week I’ve been digging trenches and filling them with river rock for drainage. Tough for a 61 year old body. I’m not rich or wealthy or even famous. I’ve worked more than 60 hours a week since 1982. During some parts of training it was a lot more than that. Now I’m finally able to spend some of those savings.

I'm afraid I just don't have enough "umph" to do all that work anymore.

The amount spent on tools has little to do with the talent of the builder.

Exactly!!!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Craftsmanship has nothing to do with economics. Whether we are fortunate enough to be able to afford a larger, "better equipped" shop or not shouldn't matter nor does having that shop mean we are "wealthy". We might have saved for a long time and/or built things out gradually, upgrading when we could. We might have been fortunate to have a good year financially for whatever reason and decided to invest in our shops. We might simply be really good at reconditioning older tools and then putting them to good use. And we might produce really good work with a pocket knife and magnifying glasses on our back porch with a glass of ice tea by our side.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...