Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shops of the Not so wealthy...

Shops of the Not so wealthy...

How about some photos of shops of folks that don't have 100,000 in extra cash to outfit a shop?
    I have limited funds; I also sold my Goldwing to outfit my shop. I have spent around $12,000 on needed stuff so far. I am trying to stay away from gadgets that suck up money , yet get used very rarely (I did that last time). Here's a few of my shop; it is still being put together and I have yet to build a good (klausz style) bench, and also a good tool cabinet. I should mention that I used to be heavy into woodworking back in the mid nineties; then health made me sell everything.
    I have found mostly used equipment and some that were in a pile of parts. Otherwise, it would have cost double. The table saw,planer,air compressor, and dust collector, were bought at a local estate sale (first one there) for $1,500 dollars!The house already had the cabinets hanging on the walls. Lot's of organizing to do! The photo of the bench is one I built in the early 90's.
    I'm finding the cost of wood is ridiculously high in my area and am missing the small mills I used to go to in Virginia and Maryland.

DSC02842.jpg
    DSC02843.jpg
    DSC02846.jpg
    DSC02847.jpg
    DSC02852.jpg
    Where did I put those band aids?

...The table saw,planer,air compressor, and dust collector, were bought at a local estate sale (first one there) for $1,500 dollars...

You got a great deal on some good machines. Your shop looks fantastic, so well organized.

TW

Blog Entries
    I’ve been hunting and gathering since the early 2000’s and have yet to approach $12,000. Congratulations. Certainly we have some folks on here who spend on a slider or a combo machine very near what I have spent on all of my machines. I also have been hunting and gathering material. I have a large collection of hardwoods since when prices are low I will usually buy a lot. I find this much more reliable than my forays into the stock market :-). I’m quite sure I have not yet spent nearly what I used to spend on golf. I am absolutely positive I spent nowhere near what my fisherman friend spends s on his hobby :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

$12k is a lot to spend on a shop for some folks remember. Sounds like you got some good deal. I like how open your shop is.
    What kind of edge sander is that?

It's an Oliver edge sander.......for sale in the classifieds.

You are off to a great in both electric-powered and hand-powered tools. Don't worry about more tools for now; just build some stuff and keep an eye out for good tools at a great price later on.

I am keeping my eye out for cheap wood! I spent everything on tools, now all I have is some pine that gums everything up!

Where are these mills you used to go to in Maryland and Virginia?

Looks like you're doing well in outfitting your shop. I purchase used whenever I can. I'm looking for a planer now with an induction motor. People are complaining about how noisy my DeWalt 735 is.

My shop is small so I couldn't fit $12,000 of equipment in it

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My favorite was Smithfield lumber near chuckatuck Va. A guy named Dickey is the one to deal with.

Shops of the Not so wealthy...

Your funny. Your's and My definition of not so wealthy are completely different.
    I don't see a single tool from harbor freight in your shop. Where as my garage could pass as a harbor freight store.

Your shop is looking great. I envy all the space you have. I actually have to pull whatever I need to use out of the garage and onto the grassy side of my house to use it.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I have been buying tools for 50 years for my shop. I have bought and sold on Craigslist and everywhere else and will buy used when I can. I probably have over $12,000 in tools bought over many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My shop is small so I couldn't fit $12,000 of equipment in it

Mike
    Mike, I'm really surprised that you have suddenly lost your creativity, a floor to ceiling stack of suitably filled Festool Systainers should be easily able to exceed $12K and fit in your shop

Regards, Rod.

I wood working sign out front of house is good magnet for wood deals. Some yellow paint in the "shop of not so wealthy".

Yellow paint?