Thread: aqua coat grain filler report

aqua coat grain filler report

I wanted to share my experience with aqua coat grain filler. This is my first time using it and overall pretty positive. Much cleaner than oil based filler - so much easier clean up – it is water based – so it dries pretty quickly, sanding was not too gummy, and the shop did not reek and not as messy rags. It is a gel so carding off the excess was pretty simple.

I used it on a large claro walnut table top (not sure how to get the phone pic to really shows much grain fill detail) and needed 3 coats to successfully fill all the pores. My inexperience could have attributed to needing the 3rd coat – directions say 2.

I first sprayed the piece with a 1# shellac coat as a sanding sealer and then applied the aqua coat as directed. On the following day, once final sanding was done, the succeeding coats of shellac rubbed in nicely and the whole thing then polished very deeply.
    Definitely needs further exploring and plan to work with it again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jerry

Thanks for the review Jerry. This will help me!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice finish, thanks for the review. That curly Claro looks beautiful, you did that wood justice.