Thread: My Grizzly G0766 died!

My Grizzly G0766 died!

My G0766 refused to restart after I had been using it for about an hour. The digital display is off and the green button doesn't stay in. I checked and the power is ok. I have had it for several years and it has worked great. It has to be the switch or inverter i'm thinking.

You might want to start with blowing everything out with an air compressor especially the switch from the back side. It could be fine dust that has been getting behind the plate and collecting in bad places.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    You might want to start with blowing everything out with an air compressor especially the switch from the back side. It could be fine dust that has been getting behind the plate and collecting in bad places.
    Thanks Chris. I just took off the front plates and it is clean inside. I'm going to take off the inverter cover and see what the code is.

I found the problem! I took the inverter cover off and pushed the reset button and it came to life! Why aren't those buttons accessible like my Jet 16-42 without having to take off an inaccessible cover?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    I found the problem! I took the inverter cover off and pushed the reset button and it came to life! Why aren't those buttons accessible like my Jet 16-42 without having to take off an inaccessible cover?
    There could have been an electrical surge that tripped the circuit breaker,and caused the problem. An electrical surge can happen on the grid at any time, and if that was the case, the Grizzly lathe was not the problem....actually, in that case the electronics tripping saved your inverter from frying.

The cover on the inverter protects it from dust, which is a good thing! I think it is a better design than the open inverters on the Jet and PM lathes.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-11-2019 at 4:20 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Is it possible that you turned the speed down too quickly? I know I do it slowly but on occasion I have done it too fast with a heavy blank and overloaded the VFD. I've never tripped the switch you are talking about, it's always been the VFD's software that needs to be reset. The good news is that there's a form of protection. It seams like it tripping is a very rare event.

7. The overrun condition can certainly trip the inverter. The proper way to do it is to use the speed dial to ramp down, and not just use the off button. David Roseman has some great information on this on the GGMG.....all the technical explanations, and is a good read for any 0766 owner.

I guess I am am green but what is the GGMG. I’m thinking it is a Grizzly users group. Is it on face book?

Charles
    Last edited by Charles Grauer; 08-11-2019 at 8:13 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    Fells, I guess I green as a hoard but what is the GGMG. I’m thinking it is a Grizzly users group. Charles
    Grizzly Green Monster Group .....a support group of Grizzly owners. Look at top of page, find “community” icon, click, then groups.......you will see it. You are welcome to join, and begin reading, learning and posting. Sort of a mini forum for Grizzly lathe owners.

Thanks. I goggled GGMG. And Golden Gate Mothers Group came up. Whoops!,
    i joined.