Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran into a slight problem...

Ran into a slight problem...

Hello all,I just finished up several end grain butcher blocks and no matter how many times I do them, something new comes up. I just wish all wood was perfect...ha!

I finished the boards using my standard Walrus Oil and Wax. Somehow, I missed a small imperfection that doesn't go very deep at all. I usually just mix Titebond and sawdust to fill something like this, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas after it has been finished? Or just leave it be and see if anything happens over the years?

See pics below (zoomed in on imperfection). Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe that epoxies are generally food safe after curing. I'd be concerned with it opening as the years go on
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

If you have already oiled and waxed hardly anything will bond to the wood. I would have suggested a wedge of the wood you used.
    For now I would grind some salt in there and use it.
    Aj

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to try a little Starbond medium mixed with some saw dust and see if I can fill it. I will have to try and sand down a very small area to get that wax and oil off. At least enough to get into the crack. Then I will probably hate how it turns out and throw the entire thing away...haha

I am still up for suggestions if anyone has anything else.

Use it, once you have some knife marks who will know. Usually when I try and fix it is gets worse. Not a big deal.

The best advice I ever got over a small item was "If it ain't broke fix it til it is."

You might try squirting some medium or thick CA glue in there to fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    You might try squirting some medium or thick CA glue in there to fill it.
    That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I have some medium Starbond black and Bob Smith clear. Gonna give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    Use it, once you have some knife marks who will know. Usually when I try and fix it is gets worse. Not a big deal.
    Being a cutting board, i'd fill it. Depending on how deep that goes, you don't want food getting down there and building up with bacteria.

Nice looking baord....

So - The bigger question I have is what technique did you use to get the board flat after glue-up?

What are the lighter colored lines between the pieces? They appear uniform except where missing for the defect. You may be able to match the color with your mixture.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Nothing is going to stick after the wax has been applied, but you don't want to leave that crack; it will fill up with food gunk. Using a syringe to irrigate the crack with a solvent to rinse away most of the wax may work. Then fill it with epoxy.

But you have a bigger issue here. Those glue lines are simply way to wide and that gap is just a spot that has been starved of glue. Wide joints are not nearly as strong as tight ones either. What is your process for jointing the surfaces prior to glue up?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Being a cutting board, i'd fill it. Depending on how deep that goes, you don't want food getting down there and building up with bacteria.

Nice looking baord....

So - The bigger question I have is what technique did you use to get the board flat after glue-up?

Thank you! I used a router sled after the second glue up on the end grain. From there I just sanded from 60-400.

I tried the CA glue and it was still too thin. I ended up mixing a little Titebond 3 and sawdust and it seems to be holding. My bigger question now will be how I am going to sand the small spot through the wax and end up looking the same as the rest of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Nothing is going to stick after the wax has been applied, but you don't want to leave that crack; it will fill up with food gunk. Using a syringe to irrigate the crack with a solvent to rinse away most of the wax may work. Then fill it with epoxy.

But you have a bigger issue here. Those glue lines are simply way to wide and that gap is just a spot that has been starved of glue. Wide joints are not nearly as strong as tight ones either. What is your process for jointing the surfaces prior to glue up?

I am not sure what I would have done differently. I have always done it the same way...

I mill the wood, rip, joint the glue sides one time, glue up, plane flat, cross cut sled, flip for end grain, joint glue sides one time, router sled, sand.

I am wondering if it is just the wood color. Only thing I can think of is using a smaller kerf blade for the cross cut, but I have done them the same way. I will attach a photo of a checkerboard pattern patter I did along with (3) of the walnut ones. You can't see the seams, but are done the same way. IDK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tea View Post
    I am not sure what I would have done differently. I have always done it the same way...

I mill the wood, rip, joint the glue sides one time, glue up, plane flat, cross cut sled, flip for end grain, joint glue sides one time, router sled, sand.

I am wondering if it is just the wood color. Only thing I can think of is using a smaller kerf blade for the cross cut, but I have done them the same way. I will attach a photo of a checkerboard pattern patter I did along with (3) of the walnut ones. You can't see the seams, but are done the same way. IDK
    I'm specifically referring to the close up shot of the the gap in your original post. The glue lines are clearly wide & the gap is just where there wasn't enough glue. The only cause for that would be that the mating surfaces are not completely smooth or flat.

Using a thinner kerf blade won't help, and may leave a rougher surface than a full kerf blade. In any case, the jointer should take care of any roughness that the blade leaves. The overall flatness looks okay, because the thick glue lines seem to be fairly consistent end to end. So that leaves surface roughness or maybe insufficient clamping pressure? When you press the pieces together without glue there should be no gap at all.

I can't tell anything from the checkerboard pic because it's not high enough resolution. But wide glue lines will show up worse on a board that's all made of the same wood.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 02-27-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I'm specifically referring to the close up shot of the the gap in your original post. The glue lines are clearly wide & the gap is just where there wasn't enough glue. The only cause for that would be that the mating surfaces are not completely smooth or flat.

Using a thinner kerf blade won't help, and may leave a rougher surface than a full kerf blade. In any case, the jointer should take care of any roughness that the blade leaves. The overall flatness looks okay, because the thick glue lines seem to be fairly consistent end to end. So that leaves surface roughness or maybe insufficient clamping pressure? When you press the pieces together without glue there should be no gap at all.

I can't tell anything from the checkerboard pic because it's not high enough resolution. But wide glue lines will show up worse on a board that's all made of the same wood.
    Got ya. The checkerboard shows no lines at all that I can see.

I try to make sure that I can’t see any lines or very minimal lines when I put them together way before the glue. That’s why I started jointing the glue sides one time. I always rotate the Bessey clamps to try and get the even pressure.

Not really sure what happened but I will have to keep a much better eye on it next time.

The CA glue plus the Titebond/Sawdust mix seems to be holding good enough so far. Now just going to have to hit it with some 400 sand paper and then oil/wax again.