Thread: I'ts official, I am a tool junkie

Blog Entries

I'ts official, I am a tool junkie

My neighbor was cleaning out her garage and gave me an entire US Mail tote filled with old tools from her grandfather and dad. She was going to set it out for the trash. I was stupid enough to take it. This is just the stuff I kept NONE OF WHICH I NEED!!! I tossed just as much. I kept at least 20 small c-clamps. I mean, who has too many clamps, right? I tossed twist drills for a brace, a lot of old collets, goofy shaped wrenches. Hello everyone, I am Ole, a tool junkie...
    Linda tools.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

Our kids will be tossing out boxes of that kind of stuff when we die. Your kids will probably toss out or give away that exact stuff to some other poor sucker!

Ole if it makes you feel any better I would probably have PAID for that pile.

Nice score - plenty of "wall hangers" in that pile.

You aren't really hard core though until you have at least a dozen tools that you have no idea what they do or how to use them....
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

You never know when you'll find a real "gem" in a box of stuff that was tossed and needs to be tossed. No harm in culling out what catches your fancy! And yea...clamps are always welcome, even if you only use a particular type once in a blue moon.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The photo reminded me of just how small a tool collection can look when it's compressed into a box or pile. When we cleaned out my dads tools they all fit in a couple of paper boxes. And he had accomplished a lot with those things. He was a dentist and built all his own cabinetry. He was way ahead of his time in designing a rolling cabinet that had the vacuum, air, water drills and stuff right at hand. This was back in the day that they had these cast iron things bolted to the floor.

My grandfather was an upholsterer, metal worker, woodworker, and blacksmith. After he died, my grandmother wanted to get rid of his tools. My dad really wanted all that stuff (industrial sewing machines, you name it) but grandma was too proud to take money from a relative. So my dad had to load up all those tools, filling our 4'x8' utility trailer so we are talking about between 64 and 96 cubic feet of tools. He drove them across town to the buyer and collected the $50 selling price she had agreed to. To add insult to injury, the guys dog bit my dad.

My biggest fear is that, if I die first, my wife will sell all my high end power tools for next to nothing or give them away not realizing their value. I wouldn't care if they were given to a young woodworker who is just beginning because that would be an appropriate place for them to end up.