Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine - Rollercoaster into Hell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caffeine - Rollercoaster into Hell

Caffeine and other stimulants I have tried provide a nice boost but it's a rollercoaster that goes a little less high and decends a little lower with each cycle.

Yep. And if you make caffeine a habit, the withdrawal can be horrible. Years ago, I drank a pot of coffee every morning and look out if I didn't get it. After a particularly bad trip out of town with very limited caffeine intake and relentless headaches, I vowed to stop drinking so much. I now drink two 10 oz mugs each morning and that's it for the day. No soda, only decaf tea or water for the remainder of the day. I actually feel more energetic without it.

Well - the mixed outlook on caffine is proabably - our ban happy government will probably tax the daylights out of it one day - then finally just ban it.

Until then - bottoms up while it's still not as socially unacceptable as pulling some goo out of a nostril in public....

Having experienced the terrible headaches Lisa speaks of - I agree - moderation on the caffine intake is the way to go. I still crave my two cups of Joe each morning - but - draw the line at any more.

Very odd behavior for me - I'm the god of self indulgence.....
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

For age 50+ men - me at least - less caffeine = less trips to the bathroom. Decaf coffee doesn't have the same effect so caffeine seems like the culprit.

Blog Entries
    It used to be rare to see me without a cup of coffee in hand.

Now after heart surgery my coffee consumption is seldom more than one mug a day:

Cup of Coffee.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,
    It might be more fun to fill that mug with beer!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’m mid 30’s, and drink approx 40 oz coffee a day most days. An iced coffee on top of that here or there.
    I’ve never experienced the highs or lows. It doesn’t really give me a boost, I can go without on days if I need or want with no negative effects.
    My liquid diet is literally coffee and water though, I do switch over about 11:30 or so and drink about a gallon a day. Yes I have a lot of pee breaks in the day 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Caffeine and other stimulants I have tried provide a nice boost but it's a rollercoaster that goes a little less high and decends a little lower with each cycle.
    It sounds like you’re on a pretty strong stimulant to post this thread. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    It sounds like you’re on a pretty strong stimulant to post this thread. Lol
    No, just a pliable head, a cup of tea in the morning gets to me in the wee hours.

Like almost everything, there are benefits and drawbacks.
    What's good for one may not be good for the next.
    Thread title's a bit dramatic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Like almost everything, there are benefits and drawbacks.
    What's good for one may not be good for the next.
    Thread title's a bit dramatic.
    As you imply, the consumption of one of the world's favorite beverages affect different people differently.

Tom appears to have a higher sensitivity to caffeine's effects than others among us. This is a common phenomenon of many substances containing stimulating or relaxing elements.

Some of coffee's effect may be mitigated by adding dairy cream to a cup of coffee.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

As mentioned above, some are more affected by caffeine than others. My drink of choice is Diet Dr. Pepper, and I drink at least one 42 oz. big gulp per day, and two on really hot days. I normally sleep well, and never have a thought about getting a morning drink of it, usually starting with lunch.

Many days I drink a lot of iced tea, and until recently used regular tea bags because the decaf was not quite 'right'. A few months ago, I discovered Tetley Decaf tea bags (British Blend...from Amazon), and they have a great taste, so I now make it a gallon at a time. So I guess I have slowed down on caffeine a bit.

I did swear off of caffeine and sugar for about a two year period, and had a mild headache for maybe two days, but that was all. I finally gave up the hunt to find a steady supply of caffeine free Dr. P, and went back to my misguided ways. When I regressed, I didn't really notice any difference.

Looks like I am fortunate that it does not seem to affect me much. My brother is the opposite. He will not drink a soda with caffeine, or even eat Rocky Road ice cream after 6, because of the caffeine in the chocolate ice cream.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-12-2019 at 4:26 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    He will not drink a soda with caffeine, or even eat Rocky Road ice cream after 6.
    Won't eat Rocky Road ice cream after 6?

My favorite time to eat ice cream is in the later hours of the evening.

jtk

Everybody needs at least one vice. Mine is caffeine. I think that is pretty benign as vices go. I haven't had a bad experience yet.

I spend half the day wondering if it's too late to drink coffee, and the other half wondering if it's too early to drink beer. Somewhere in between I drink a bunch of water.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore