Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caffeine - Rollercoaster into Hell

I'm with Jason. I drink 40 oz of coffee most mornings and wonder if it is too soon for beer. I don't notice a problem with the coffee and beer is forgotten in the fall when I stop working in the yard. I do have a problem with ice cream.

In the evening sometimes I can't stop eating ice cream until it is all gone. Result is I have a very restless night of nightmares and feel sick the next morning. I seldom bring ice cream home from the store. Just not worth it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I spend half the day wondering if it's too late to drink coffee, and the other half wondering if it's too early to drink beer. Somewhere in between I drink a bunch of water.
    You've ruined my whole day (morning, at least) with such a sad story! I'll worry about you at least until I have my second beer.

Beer: it's not just for breakfast!
    Last edited by James Waldron; 08-12-2019 at 9:31 AM.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I love coffee/espresso and drink a lot but recently quit drinking cold brew. It was so strong (or at least the brands I was drinking) that my stomach started to disagree with it. I'd give up alcohol before coffee and that's saying something.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Tom Bender,

My first serious job after when I moved to CA from London was very labor intensive, I once worked 90 hours in a week. I was, correspondingly, a serious coffee drinker. I didn't realize the level of the addiction until I noticed that every Saturday I had a headache- it was caffeine withdrawal. I decided I would count the number of cups per day. The number was 18 and I decided to turn off the coffee taps suddenly and switch to caffeinated tea. This wasn't too painful, a gradual detox.

Later, I decided that I would only drink cappuccinos and as that is time-consuming and messy, the fuss factor would help reduce the cups per day. For years I had a maximum of 4 cups per day, and over time - this is the mid '80's, the frothed milk and sugar was eliminated, so it was a kind of quite watered down espresso. About five years ago I decided that the limit would be two cups per day.

This is the very high mileage machine I've used the last 12 years, a Seaco Aroma:

Saeco Aroma_Refurbished_2_10.16.18.jpg

This was ultra-reliable until about a year ago:

Saeco Aroma_Apart_9.6.18.jpg

The boiler blew the O-ring connecting the two halves and I had to wait 5 weeks for parts from Bulgaria of all places. I used a permanent filter in the meantime which made very good coffee, but in much larger quantities-a cup was about double the size.

The Bulgarian repair worked and I've having the dregs of the second daily cup while writing, along with a few almonds.

Fellow coffee addicts, listen to this with your tenth cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Ocydot-vA

(Bach (1685-1750) "The Coffee Cantata" BWV 211)

Does anyone else remember years ago- mid 70's?; the commercials with football players and business executives as "coffee achievers"?

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 08-13-2019 at 1:35 AM.

Been drinking a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi Max every morning for years. When I wake up a bit groggy it gives me an edge. Can't drink it after noon though. There is an "old wive's tail" here about giving kids real ice cream about a half hour before bedtime. Supposed to give them a short rush while they get ready for bed and then a low to get them to sleep. My parents did it with my siblings and I, and I did it with my kids. Seemed to work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Been drinking a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi Max every morning for years. When I wake up a bit groggy it gives me an edge. Can't drink it after noon though. There is an "old wive's tail" here about giving kids real ice cream about a half hour before bedtime. Supposed to give them a short rush while they get ready for bed and then a low to get them to sleep. My parents did it with my siblings and I, and I did it with my kids. Seemed to work.
    Interesting post Perry. My iron has been testing low for a few years. Recently, my iron supplement was doubled. Coffee is still in my morning wake up process, but the extra iron also seems to be having an effect before the consumption of coffee.

The sweets before bedtime has been precticed by some and shunned by others. It often seems to work for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting post Perry. My iron has been testing low for a few years. Recently, my iron supplement was doubled. Coffee is still in my morning wake up process, but the extra iron also seems to be having an effect before the consumption of coffee.

The sweets before bedtime has been precticed by some and shunned by others. It often seems to work for me.

jtk
    What does SWMBO say about that?

Having worked in air traffic control maintenance and in diagnostic imaging maintenance, until my retirement I worked a lot of crazy hours, consuming gallons of coffee to stay awake and alert. Finally about 20 years ago I noticed after installing an x-ray tube on a CT and working all night to tune it, after switching to a can of Coke about 0600 after completing the project, observing a couple patient exams and going home, while sitting in my recliner I could literally feel my heart beat. This situation(coffee all night to stay awake and a can of pop before going home from a different hospital) repeated it self a couple weeks later and it scared me! I quit drinking pop almost completely drinking maybe 1-2 cans per year and changed the formula for my coffee. I now drink a very weak coffee that is 1/2 decaf and 1/2 regular. I drink it constantly, morning until bed time.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    What does SWMBO say about that?
    She doesn't say anything about it. Besides she stays up much later than me. It used to be the other way around with her going to bed early and me being the night owl.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    She doesn't say anything about it. Besides she stays up much later than me. It used to be the other way around with her going to bed early and me being the night owl.

jtk
    Well, we can certainly guess with a measure of confidence how you became grandparents, but how the devil did you become parents?
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Well, we can certainly guess with a measure of confidence how you became grandparents, but how the devil did you become parents?
    Methinks you have confused going to bed with being asleep.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-20-2019 at 2:02 PM. Reason: Spelling