Thread: Stupid question: How do I dispose of denatured alcohol/shellac

Stupid question: How do I dispose of denatured alcohol/shellac

So I'm experimenting with shellac for the first time. I used a small glass jar to take some out of the can, and the jar is now sitting there coated in shellac. I know I can clean it with denatured alcohol (DA) or household ammonia, but what do I do with the DA when I'm done?

Also, I have a small plastic cup with about 50 ml. shellac mixed with DA that I was using for test applications. I don't want to leave the cup out, since I'm working in my garage where the gas furnace is located. But I don't necessarily want to throw away the unused amount. In retrospect, I probably should have used a container with a lid. If I have to throw it away so be it. But how? I can't poor it down the drain, right?

Sigh.... thanks for your quick replies.

Yasha
    Last edited by Yasha Renner; 08-09-2019 at 8:09 PM.

Depending on the amount, I just brush it onto a piece of cardboard or newspaper, let it dry, then toss in the trash.

Agree. Do not pour it down the drain.

Can you pour it into a CLEAN glass jar with a lid?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The experts call this "air strip". Leave it exposed to the outside air and all the volatiles (ethanol - - pretty benign) evaporate.

I mix it with sawdust and then throw in on my mulch pile, so it's pretty much the same as what Brice said.

John

That would go in my "Scrap Solvent" can. It's a 1 quart paint can (properly labeled). It gets half full in about half a year, (I'm parsimonious with solvent), then it gets burned in the fire pit, usually with old bank statements etc.