Thread: Keeping it simple

Keeping it simple

My summer schedule doesn’t permit lots of shop time but I like to keep something in the works. I ran across a couple videos on Rustic Japanese Tool Boxes and figured it would be a good project to keep things sharp. It was simple but a fun build.

Material is Red Oak planks left over from window jamb liners. There’s no real plan. I just freestyled it. Other than running the boards through a thickness planer it’s pretty much all Neander work. My new shooting plane made for some good looking end grain.

Finish is a 48 hour ammonia fuming followed by natural Danish oil. I rubbed in a coat of oil and bee’s wax polish after that dried. There’s a simple elegance to the construction I really like.

96BED8F7-57C2-4008-90CC-45B4A764BE09.jpg

D36A47FD-3CFF-4F5A-9C80-58F8EEFE3A98.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice looking box, Rob. I agree the design is sublime. And good on you for keeping a project going in summer.

LV shooting plane? I love mine...

Thanks. I'm planning on whipping up a couple more in different sizes and different materials (and with greater precision). I think they might do OK at a silent charity auction that I've made a couple things for in the past.

Yup, LV Shooter. Perhaps an extravagance, but man does it work well.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.