Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shapton Stone Setup?

Shapton Stone Setup?

I just got a new Shapton Pro 1000# stone (orange one I believe) and seem to think I read somewhere that it may benefit from epoxying a piece of glass to one side of it. Is this true or am I lost in dementia land? If it is true, please feel free to throw in exact names of an appropriate epoxy that I could pick up at one of the Borgs. Thanks,
    David

The plastic base it comes in is pretty good. I use it in that, or just set out a piece of anti-slip drawer liner and place the stone on that.

The main benefit to epoxying it to glass is that you can use the stone right down to the last bit of thickness. Otherwise it will get really fragile towards the end.

If you decide to do it, I'd just use 5 minute hardware store epoxy unless you happen to have some nicer stuff on hand. I would also place it on the base so that the base is flush with the edge of the stone on at least one side. This aids in sharpening knives and other tools where the handle would be hitting the base otherwise.

Thanks Robert. I have a Sigma stone that is getting thin and can see how some glass would help that.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks Robert. I have a Sigma stone that is getting thin and can see how some glass would help that.
    David,

An earlier reply disappeared into where ever disappeared replies go not that it mattered because it was mostly an agreement with Robert. The only thing I added is I've been using Shapton Pros for a couple of years or more and there is still a lot of stone left. Once they wear down to about the thickness of the Shapton Glass stones I plan to glue/epoxy them to backing glass.

ken

I moved to Shaptons about a decade ago, and discoved that the 5000 and 8000 moved a little, throwing out their flatness. As a result, I epoxied them to (carefully sized) 1/4” thick float glass. I posted this here at the time as I had not read about anyone else doing the same.

This is the 8000 .....

The 1000 received the same treatment, and this stone has remained in the armoury as it is so fantastic. The other Shaptons have been substuted with Sigma, which cut PM-V11 and non-O1 steels faster. The glass does not prevent the 1000 from fitting into (or onto) the case, and it keeps the stones flat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1 I have done the same with great success.

https://www.gelpro.com/

Where you stand for sharpening.

Thanks for the advise from all. I ordered replacement Sigma 1000# and 6000# stones from Stu just before he advised that he was shutting down and did not receive what I was expecting. I decided to give the Shapton 1000# a try since it has gotten great reviews here and thought that I had read about adding glass to one side. I got the glass and something called "E 6000" to glue it on with yesterday. Now, If I could just find where to get the pink speckled Sigma 6000# stone from, all would be well.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks for the advise from all. I ordered replacement Sigma 1000# and 6000# stones from Stu just before he advised that he was shutting down and did not receive what I was expecting. I decided to give the Shapton 1000# a try since it has gotten great reviews here and thought that I had read about adding glass to one side. I got the glass and something called "E 6000" to glue it on with yesterday. Now, If I could just find where to get the pink speckled Sigma 6000# stone from, all would be well.
    What are we going to do for Sigma Stones now that Stu is no longer? I have always wanted to trade up my Shaptons for some Sigma's but apparently waited too long. I do really well with the Shaptons but there are times I would like to try out the Sigma's for a little more aggressive cut on my PMV11's and A2's.

I have epoxied glass to all my Shapton Pro's with very good success. I have actually used up a 1000 grit stone that was mounted on glass and was super happy that it was. Prior to using glass I have had too many stones break apart on me that got relatively thin. I will say that I have had 2 different stones come off the glass as the epoxy didn't stick to the glass. I would love to know what others do to rough up the glass to get a good bond of epoxy. I use West System epoxy therefore am not using some poor quality adhesive that should fail. I do highly recommend using glass for the obvious reasons and also as Derek mentioned these stones do move after getting wet and drying out. The glass helps tremendously with the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    What are we going to do for Sigma Stones now that Stu is no longer? I have always wanted to trade up my Shaptons for some Sigma's but apparently waited too long. I do really well with the Shaptons but there are times I would like to try out the Sigma's for a little more aggressive cut on my PMV11's and A2's.
    If only there were another place to buy them :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43072,67175

Of course, if you order from Lee Valley, you will probably throw in another thousand dollars worth of stuff, you know, to save on shipping! Or maybe it is just me!

11. They don't offer the same, highly regarded pink speckled Sigma 6000 unfortunately I saw one on ebay recently but that's it....hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Elliott View Post
    They don't offer the same, highly regarded pink speckled Sigma 6000 unfortunately I saw one on ebay recently but that's it....hurry!
    I see one on eBay right now for $99.99 + $15 shipping. No idea if it is the same one or if it is a good price. I don't think I can publish a link.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I can publish a link.
    Link to ebay, NO!

Item number, okay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I see one on eBay right now for $99.99 + $15 shipping. No idea if it is the same one or if it is a good price. I don't think I can publish a link.
    That's almost 1/2 what I paid Stu for a set of three Sigma stones and an Atoma Diamond flattening plate, including shipping from Japan, a couple years ago. So not a great price, but I guess it is available so YMMV.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 08-20-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: better wording

I have a 4000 and 8000 Shapton GlassStones. They are great. They stay flat through more than one use (although sometimes I flatten them after each use just to be sure) and they give a great finish. They are ceramic with glass on the other side. I generally use them in a holder with rubber feet.