Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first jointer. New or used?

I had an Inca J/P for 25 years. Awesome machine, especially for someone with limited space but not limited ambition. That little machine punches way above its size.

I have had two 6" jointers, an 8", and now a 12". There are a lot of cheap, flimsy 6" jointers out there; that's why that is mostly what you see for sale used. 8" jointers are more serious machines. Just save yourself a lot of trouble and find an 8", preferably with a Byrd head, or inexpensive enough to retrofit one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Denzler View Post
    I’ve got an Inca 570 jointer for sale in Duluth, MN. Could meet you half way or something
    Is it on Craigslist? I could email you through that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Matt, I appreciate the suggestions, but there isn't a snowballs chance down under that the 12" jointer will fit down my stairs and I'm not afraid to drive, but is that delta really worth over $200? I'm not afraid of a project, but that's over a 6 hour round trip from where I live and it looks like it's in pieces.
    There are enough Delta / Rockwell 6" on the market that are not basket cases.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Delta 6" Jointer - $400

Probably too far to drive, but an example of what can be found.

Marc

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/t...946218997.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls...949263496.html
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 08-12-2019 at 4:10 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I have had WAY more luck selling on Facebook marketplace than C list this year.

Be aware of it Guys... it IS taking over.

Here's search results for Jointer Green bay ws within 100 miles.

Marc

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ort=BEST_MATCH

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    I have had WAY more luck selling on Facebook marketplace than C list this year.
    Same here. Sold my 8" Rockwell on FB Marketplace. CL is getting to be a pain.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

As a hobbyist I try to buy good used standing equipment. I purchased a 8" Powermatic Jointer and a15" Powermatic planer from a listing on Craig's list 10 years ago and they both are still working as designed. I also have a used Delta 6" belt/12" disc sander and drill press that work well. All were about 1/2 the price of new and they work as well.

Blog Entries
    I would go shopping and put my hands on machines I like and then go from there. I would go on line to see the best price of that machine.

I have a Delta Rockwell 37-220 6" jointer. Bought it used for ~ $300. Has enclosed bottom (less mess) and came with mobile base (these things are heavy). I changed the knifes twice so far ($14). It is serving well from last one year. Overall, I see it as VFM.

Now, the bad part.

- Fence has slight twist. So I don't get perfect 90° faces. This does not bother me much as hand planes take care of remaining 5%. Learning: Take a straight edge and a square when you go to check a used jointer.

- 6" works for 70% boards (for me). My bench top planer handles 13" width. So for rest 30% boards I end up using hand plane to true the wide face. I find hand planes easier than sledge. Learning: Should have spent $150 more and bought the 8" used jointer. If I had unlimited space I would buy a 12" model.

- I checked new jointers when I was buying. Loved the Powermatic long bed jointer. Looking back, it was also 6". Feature wise these are simple machines so don't know (apart from fence) what it would have done better.

tl;dr;

- If buying 6" then buy used. Check fence and bed before buying.
    - If 8" is available used then buy that.
    - If you have space (and money) buy as wide as you can.
    - Have not seen many used 8" and above on sale at reasonable price. This is the only case in which I will buy new.

Edit:

Of of curiosity checked 12" jointer price. I can't buy it even if I had space . Well if only I find one used
    Last edited by Anuj Prateek; 08-17-2019 at 1:08 AM.

11. A lot depends on what you will be building and what kind of stock you are using. For me even though the wood comes in as big slabs it gets broken down into shortish lengths (<5') and usually fairly narrow widths so I am happy with a little Shop Fox bench top jointer. I don't even lust after bigger jointers. I don't think that is true for many of us though.

If you will be happy with a lesser machine don't be talked into something you don't need. If you really need more buying it up front is a good idea. On the other hand it isn't a huge deal if you have to sell a small machine that doesn't work out to trade up especially if it is a used one. At least it is easier to move in and out and you didn't tie up a lot of money in it.

I love my little bench top jointer, but if you really need a big jointer you'd hate it. The same may or may not apply to a 6" floor model vs and 8" one for you depending on your work. Think about what you really want to do and buy accordingly.

I have been using a 6” jointer from Grizzly for about 15 years now and have had no problems with it. I build cabinets and furniture and it has worked fine for me. I rarely need to joint wood wider than 6” but there are ways to joint wider wood if you also have a thickness planer.
    An 8” jointer would be nice for longer pieces of wood but I make do with what I have. I don’t have room for an 8” either.

Dont know what your budget is but I found this on the Grizzly website. It is a newer model of what I have.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...my-Stand/G0813

I also use this blade system with it. It eliminates the need to manually set your blades which is a great time saver. I’ve tried different jigs & techniques but they just don’t seem to work as well for me. The only downside is you can’t sharpen the blades- you just turn them around to use the second side then toss them. If they get nicked, you can just loosen one and slide it sideways a bit so you don’t end up with raised “lines” on your wood.

The 6” blades are about $25 for a set of 3. The system itself has gotten a lot more expensive then when I bought mine.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Dis...ointers/T21146

(The catalog shows this fitting 2 jointers that are discontinued but I think it just hasn’t been updated yet. It should fit any of their 3 cutter head models but I would check with them 1st before buying)
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 08-17-2019 at 1:35 PM.