Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disposable LED Shop Light Mental Hang Up

I have found that the LED's last forever but the power supplies fail quickly. So the 4' led replacement tubes only last a year or two then they no longer light up. best is to get separate power supplies and led's but they cost more.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    So about 27 bucks for a fixture that will only be about 4k lumens. I have been buying 14k lumen led fixtures for 28 bucks.
    14k lumens for $28 sounds like a good deal. Can you share your source?

Blog Entries
    I have not seen LED tube that have​ an external driver. Tubes that work with a ballast still have an internal driver. The ballast does not contribute anything to the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Barnes View Post
    14k lumens for $28 sounds like a good deal. Can you share your source?
    China, via ebay

I always wonder when I buy something like that from the bay if the ratings are inflated. Is it really 14k lumens or is that like sears compressor horsepower? It is 14K lumens for 1/2 second before it overheats and melts. So it is throttled down to 4K actual output but the leds are capable of more. I know the lifetime claims are wildly inflated.
    I do not trust the China DB claims for ear protection but I trust Sweeden's numbers AKA Peltor. I can get 10-20 DB reduction by moving the microphone from the motor to my ear where it counts.
    Bil lD.

I've got new LEDs in my new shop.

They claim they will burn for 50,000 hours. If I monkey in there for 25 hours a week, I'll be needing to replace them in 38 years.

I'll be 105 and I'll need some help.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I always wonder when I buy something like that from the bay if the ratings are inflated. Is it really 14k lumens or is that like sears compressor horsepower? It is 14K lumens for 1/2 second before it overheats and melts. So it is throttled down to 4K actual output but the leds are capable of more. I know the lifetime claims are wildly inflated.
    I do not trust the China DB claims for ear protection but I trust Sweeden's numbers AKA Peltor. I can get 10-20 DB reduction by moving the microphone from the motor to my ear where it counts.
    Bil lD.
    According to my lumens meter, they are basically spot on, some a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    When I wired my new shop a year ago, the cheapest replaceable element LED solution was to buy fluorescent fixtures without bulbs and populate the fixtures with LED retrofit tubes. This was cheaper than buying bulb replaceable LED fixtures. I went that direction and have been extremely pleased ever since. I haven't lost a ballast or a LED "tube".
    I did the same 8 months ago. So far, so good.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I did the same 8 months ago. So far, so good.
    Same here. I got 8' fixtures for $20 from 1000bulbs.com and 5000k, 2000 lumen LED bulbs from Amazon. The bulbs came in a 20 pack for about $120. I have 9 fixtures total and it cost me a little over $400 to outfit the shop. One of the best things I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Where I live you cannot convert a fluorescent fixture to LED by removing the ballast, as the electrical approval of the fixture is cancelled.

As others have said, you'll be able to purchase ballasts, sockets and LED refit lamps for a long time, that will allow you to keep the fixture appearance constant........Rod.
    You could argue that by removing the ballast, the "fixture" becomes a junction box, and the new "fixture" is the LED tube. Ballasts run fluorescent tubes at several hundred volts, so the tombstones are good for 120V.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    New installation. There is ZERO reason to buy obsolete fluorescent fixtures and convert. Buy new fixtures and get at least some warranty. I have 2x2 and 2x4ft troffers in my basement that I purchased from Both HD and Lowes in the past three years.
    They run 2 to 8 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week. No issue at all, no flicker, work at 50 degrees (basement is cold in winter) and put out more light that a 4 bulb std fl fixture.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    You could argue that by removing the ballast, the "fixture" becomes a junction box, and the new "fixture" is the LED tube. Ballasts run fluorescent tubes at several hundred volts, so the tombstones are good for 120V.
    You could argue that Jason, however the inspector won't agree with you..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    You could argue that Jason, however the inspector won't agree with you..........Rod.
    Not all rules make sense...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore