Thread: Long undermount slides?

Long undermount slides?

I have to build some 30" deep cabinets and hidden slides are specified. Blum does not make one in the longer lengths that does not show but there are others on the market. If you have any experience with the different brands I would love to hear your experiences and impressions of quality. I have found several in 27" length which would be fine, but do not have experience with these brands.

Thanks, Larry

Knape & Vogt makes undermount guides (not sure about lengths) comparable to Blum with the exception of the locking device. The K&V locking devices are 100% plastic. I don't have experience with any others.

Blum does make long undermounts. B569 series has one for a 30" drawer box. Tain't cheap. $60/pr from wwhardware.com

'nother thought... Just because the cabinet casework is 31" doesn't mean the drawers need to go all the way to the back. My take is that drawers don't often get pulled all the out, so the area at the rear of the drawer just is a repository for stuff that never gets used. When I make drawers under a bed, I now generally just go with 21" drawers (and Blum Tandems), even though on a queen or king the drawers could be deeper.

I'm with Jamie. I think a drawer that deep just creates a black hole in the back. I would stay with 21s so you can still use the Blum Tandems. They are my go-to and never fail me.

You guys might want to re-think the depth of drawers. I have 2 banks of custom depth drawers in my kitchen (30"deep) that I built myself. The drawers are 28" deep and I use ever inch of them. Yes, I place lesser used items towards the back,but I appreciate being able to fully extend the drawer to get those items when I need them. Why would I ever want to give up 25% of my storage area just because I have to pull the drawer out further? Give it some thought.

Blum tandem 566H and Movento 760H come in 700mm and 750mm slides.
    My kitchen island has 6 banks of drawers that are 28" deep, with 12 drawers and my wife has managed to fill all drawers and use every little space of them.

i use the 30" blum 569s all the time, and i pay ~$45 a pair from richelieu.

OK, I looked in two catalogs and they did not show the longer Blums, but after reading this I went to the Baer Supply catalog and They are in there. Cool, thanks.I need to get a Blum Catalog

As far as shortening the drawers in a deep cabinet, NO!

My business is built on doing the out of the box designs, and a big part of that is doing what the factories do not or can not do. On this kitchen I beat out two other companies that could not come up with the solutions that I did and one of the features was a bank of drawers extra deep that solved a problem and gave them a place for the large pans that they use when they entertain. It also gives them an extra deep counter so that appliances that are stored at the wall do not impede the working space. I can't beat the factories on price, but being flexible gets me work.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 08-11-2019 at 8:07 AM.

Not exactly an answer to the question, but a house I built has a very large kitchen island. It was on an unusually shaped corner point lot, and it's just the way the design worked out. The island had a counter on one end. I don't remember the dimensions exactly, but there was about 4 feet of cabinet, and then the overhang for the counter, in one direction.

I found some 48" drawer slides somewhere. They were put down in the toe kick space that went under the other side of that island that had normal drawers on the other side, and pullouts in the carcass in front of the overhang were built with non-swiveling casters on the corners, but not very visible being inside the base which just had a small clearance above the floor. You had to move the bar stools, but there was a fair amount of storage when you slid out the large cabinets.

The drawer slides were just used as guides to make sure they went back in place correctly. The 3" castors carried the weight. It was an interesting feature to the first couple that looked at that house, who decided to buy the house right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I need to get a Blum Catalog
    Here's a link to the Blum Tandem brochures. Select the one on the lower right, dated 2-28-2019. Go to page 18.

https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/...nloads-videos/

I also had a customer that wanted extra deep drawers to fit large pots/pans. I built the base 25" deep and installed 24" drawers (430E Euro series)....customer was delighted.

Scott
    Last edited by scott vroom; 08-11-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

When I built the '68 drawer kitchen', my wife would have kicked me out of the shop if I tried to put 18" or 22" drawers in her 36" cabinet. She designed each drawer with dividers and a full 24" drawer. I had to make the cabinets a bit deeper to accept the drawers she wanted, but no problem when you are not trying to save a couple bucks optimizing the yield from ply sheets.

The top drawer in each cabinet is an inch shorter (23") because of the nail strips. The drawers range in length from 8" to 28", and almost every cabinet has a drawer in the toe kick. They are full of cookie sheets, pizza peel, pizza stone for oven, etc.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.