Thread: The Morning post and the Evening post

The Morning post and the Evening post

Was it ever common to get two deliveries of mail per day? We had a Rural Free Delivery address when I was a kid and that was one delivery per day. Did city dwellers get more frequent service?
    Last edited by Stephen Tashiro; 08-09-2019 at 5:36 AM.

It’s always been once a day anyplace where I have lived.

From Google: Carriers walked as many as 22 miles a day, carrying up to 50 pounds of mail at a time. They were instructed to deliver letters frequently and promptly — generally twice a day to homes and up to four times a day to businesses. The second residential delivery was discontinued on April 17, 1950, in most cities.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The USPS says they used to do twice-a-day deliveries to residential customers, up until 1950:

https://about.usps.com/publications/...pub100_018.htm

I assume that was only in cities.

Blog Entries
    We sometimes get two deliveries per day, but only if the USPS is delivering a package for FedEx or UPS.
    NOW you tell me...

I can just remember two mail deliveries so it ended around 1965 for me. I do not think it happened everyday?
    In the Sherlock Holmes stories he got mail three times a day. But no phone service and the occasional telegram was delivered to the door. That was in central London so it probably had the best mail service in the world at the time.

Blog Entries
    Once a day here, but they come like clockwork between 10 am and noon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Once a day here, but they come like clockwork between 10 am and noon.
    They have you spoiled. My address is on a rural route. The regular carrier for this route is described as a disability malingerer by some of the carriers who cover the route.

Sometimes our mail gets here by noon. Sometimes not until after 5:00pm.

One of the carriers seems to be blind to the flags on the side of the mail box if there isn't incoming mail when outgoing mail is left for pick up. If a package requires a signature, some of the carriers will not come to the house. We seldom go into town more than once or twice a week.

One of my most relaxing times is when there wasn't a need to go into town for about three weeks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    When you live in a suburb city with a medium size post office, there are advantages. The postman puts my mail in a postal box at the front door.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When you live in a suburb city with a medium size post office, there are advantages. The postman puts my mail in a postal box at the front door.
    In my situation some of the UPS drivers will walk down the driveway if there is snow on the ground. From where they park in the driveway it is about 0.1 mile round trip.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)