Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave from the UK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dave from the UK?

I hope his name is Dave the guy that knew lasers inside out and was from the UK. I never see him on anymore, and at one time he was restoring a old stone house. Maybe he retired and is now remodeling full time?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Dave no longer contributes to this site. He is greatly missed, his knowledge is insane and his willingness to help is second to none.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If my memory serves me correctly, he was also a nuclear physicist! I enjoyed reading his posts.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Dave no longer contributes to this site. He is greatly missed, his knowledge is insane and his willingness to help is second to none.
    Yes so much knowledge.

But this site has changed a lot in the last year or so. Seems like now all we are getting is eBay people who are first time users. Looks like we are support for the Chinese makers.

Dave was great, I really do miss his knowledge.

Yeah, I believe it was Dave Sheldrake? I learned from his posts also.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

He didn't leave the internet, he's still out there. If you seek, you shall find

In my opinion, he was the most knowledgable person on the forum when it came to lasers. I contacted him once to ask a few questions and he was able to tell me who the Managing Director was of this foreign company, who answered to who, who I needed to talk to and how to resolve my issues. He knows everyone, across the globe, who has anything to do with making lasers.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Bill, sent you a PM

Always so humble- I always got a kick out of him explaining how little he knew about lasers compared to some of his associates and mentors.
    I learned a ton from Dave, but as the saying goes, he's forgot more about lasers than I'll EVER know...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Dave so sorry for your loss, no words can help in your grief, just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Bert
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Dave I am so sorry for your loss, she will be missed for sure. Prayers are with you.

Dave

I want to extend my sincere condolences on your loss. I wish you and your family peace and joyful memories.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yea I miss him to he taught me so much
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for the kind words guys

Ok, bit of an update, Well the house finally got on my nerves so I moved to an Art Deco place built in 1939 and am having a great time living there where I don't have to repair 500 year old stonework on a weekly basis.

Work wise, stuff went all kinds of silly but right in the middle of it my wife was diagnosed with Cancer 4 years ago, after the usual treatment and chemo, radio all was well. Fast forward to Oct last year and once again cancer came to visit. She's currently undergoing treatment for that and the outlook is excellent (it hasn't spread) so time again has gotten very limited.

These days I do a good bit of CNC programming freelance (being effectively retired from the rat race of running a company) and occasionally help folks out when they get problems with their lasers but being honest, like most folks I got fed up with £200 Ebay K40's saturating the market and users wanting to be hand fed everything they needed to know without actually putting in any effort themselves. It got to the stage I was getting literally hundreds of emails a day and the tone of some of them was a little "Annoying" to say the least.

"Hey, my laser won't fire, you gonna help me get it fixed or what?" and when an answer didn't arrive in a Tardis I'd get a follow up saying "I need this machine working NOW, email me back asap" well, that's never going to end well.My old Dad taught me "Please and thank you" never cost anybody a dime so I just quit the entire "scene"

Scotty's right I'm not too difficult to find and speak to Dave Sommers on pretty much a weekly basis over on BookFace

Kev's also right, I was always the student, and still am, I've been very fortunate that some of the real "Minds" in the industry gave me their time and helped me over many years

cheers Dave
    You did what !

Good to hear from you Dave! Glad you got out of the rat race and it sounds like your semi retired?

We still get the folks on here with zero experience and want everything explained…. to them.

I know also that home remodels can go on and on and sometimes letting another take over the project is for the best.

That cancer thing is tough, lots of good people fighting it off and I hope your wife pulls out of it again. It takes over your life and your loved ones also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Good to hear from you Dave! Glad you got out of the rat race and it sounds like your semi retired?

We still get the folks on here with zero experience and want everything explained…. to them.

I know also that home remodels can go on and on and sometimes letting another take over the project is for the best.

That cancer thing is tough, lots of good people fighting it off and I hope your wife pulls out of it again. It takes over your life and your loved ones also.
    cheers Bill, it's good to be around where possible, I just retired from running a business, I still work just not 80 hours a week any more She will she's a tough old boot
    You did what !