Thread: Another fuming success

Another fuming success

Those that know me know I have a fondness for arts and crafts furniture and work almost exclusively in QSWO. I'd seen some examples of rustic Japanese toolboxes and figured I should make one. I had some clear red oak material that was left over from window jamb extensions so I used what I had. The construction is pretty basic, with most of the joinery held together with cut nails (separate post on construction to follow in the appropriate forum) The oak was about as bland as it could get. I'd had luck fuming white oak so I thought I'd try red. This spent a couple days in a big rubbermaid container with strong ammonia. What you see here is the first coat of natural Danish oil. A scrap of the raw oak is shown for contrast. Who needs stain?

48491785252_d9b34b461e_b.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice. I fumed for the first time just this past weekend...QSWO of course...and wondered how red would turn out.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I had no idea what to expect but I was pleased with the results. I tend to shy away from Red Oak because I don't usually care for the look when stained. This looks very warm and organic.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.