Thread: DRO for G0704 Milling Macine

DRO for G0704 Milling Macine

Does anyone know which Grizzly 3-axis DRO fits a Grizzly G0704 milling machine? I don't see any that would seem to work, either one axis is way too long or way too short.

Anthony, I don't believe Grizzly sells a DRO kit for the G0704 because they sell the G0759 which is the G0704 with a DRO system installed. A lot of folks that buy the G0704 do so to convert it into a CNC machine. 8 years ago when buying a mill I decided on the G0759 because I wanted the DRO to be factory installed and knew I would never use this machine for CNC work. If you're buying new it's generally cheaper to buy a factory option for a DRO.

You didn't indicate if you already own a G0704 but, if you do, there are plenty of generic DRO kits to choose from. The scales, whether glass or magnetic, are easily cut to size using a hacksaw or angle grinder with a cutting disk. The scales, which are all probably made in China, are produced in certain standard lengths so one chooses a kit with scales that are at least as long as necessary for any given axis. Then you simply cut any down as necessary. I added a DRO system to my old Logan lathe and had to cut down the scales for both X and Y.

I don't have one, but I have a line on a used one for a good price. Strictly speaking the DRO isn't necessary for me, but would be alot faster. When I learned to use a milling machine, DROs weren't even a thing.

Same with me years ago. But a DRO would make the going a little faster. And it basically takes out that annoying backlash issue as well as being more accurate since you can get scales that are good to a tenth.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Anthony, I don't believe Grizzly sells a DRO kit for the G0704 because they sell the G0759 which is the G0704 with a DRO system installed. A lot of folks that buy the G0704 do so to convert it into a CNC machine. 8 years ago when buying a mill I decided on the G0759 because I wanted the DRO to be factory installed and knew I would never use this machine for CNC work. If you're buying new it's generally cheaper to buy a factory option for a DRO.

You didn't indicate if you already own a G0704 but, if you do, there are plenty of generic DRO kits to choose from. The scales, whether glass or magnetic, are easily cut to size using a hacksaw or angle grinder with a cutting disk. The scales, which are all probably made in China, are produced in certain standard lengths so one chooses a kit with scales that are at least as long as necessary for any given axis. Then you simply cut any down as necessary. I added a DRO system to my old Logan lathe and had to cut down the scales for both X and Y.
    Grizzly sells several glass/optical DRO but none fit the G0704. The DROs that do not fit, have a maximum price of $520. The DRO from the G0759 is available and can be purchased for $1400 . I am baffled as to how the G0759 DRO kit is smaller than any of the individual DRO but costs almost 3 times as much as the most costly independent DRO from Grizzly. The cost differental between the G0704 ($2300) and the G0759 ($3100) makes sense in regards to the cost of the DRO replacement from the G0759 at $1400. But the price difference does not make sense in regards to the fact that a larger (ie., longer) DRO kit only costs $520 ($2300 + $520 = $2820 which is $280 less than the $3100 G0759 price tag).

Does anyone have a G0759 and knows and can post the length of each of the three optical DRO scales? I'd like to start looking for a third party 3-axis DRO for a G0704.

Anthony, years ago when I bought my G0759 I paid less than what the G0704 is selling for now. And the delta was less than $800 today so my decision was an easy one.

I didn't realize that Grizzly had a custom DRO kit for the G0704 but I can understand why this kit cost is much higher. It would have custom length scales and cables as well as custom mounting hardware and probably a detailed manual. And I'll bet that they don't sell many which would also cause their unit price to be higher.

There are tons of YouTube videos on installing DRO kits that can help you. Here is one where the fellow does the install on a G0704.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrI6aLWaJIA (part 1)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBByA3YnFFU (part 2)
    He ordered a kit whereby he ended up having to cut the glass scales and has a separate video on that, but there are plenty others on cutting scales.

There are sellers of DRO kits that have ones with scales of common lengths and there are some sellers that will also supply custom length scales for a little more money. If I had a G0704 and wanted to buy a DRO kit this one from Amazon would be it. It has a lot of good reviews, is economically priced and you can get custom length scales from him.
    https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Reado...63b24bcb5&th=1

It is important that you remember when looking at or ordering scales, either glass or magnetic, that the length listed (or custom length you order) is always the travel distance. The actual scale will be longer because of the end caps needed for mounting. If you were to order custom length scales for a G0704 they would be: 480mm for X, 180mm for Y and 280mm for Z. And, if necessary, always round up. For instance, if you found a kit that had 500, 200 and 300mm scales it would work fine on th G0704 without any cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    I didn't realize that Grizzly had a custom DRO kit for the G0704 but I can understand why this kit cost is much higher. It would have custom length scales and cables as well as custom mounting hardware and probably a detailed manual. And I'll bet that they don't sell many which would also cause their unit price to be higher.
    The custom DRO kit for the G0704 is the replacement DRO parts from the G0759. Event at the the 3x price difference is redicoulous, when compare to larger (ie., longer) DRO kit.