Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What brand of paper towel?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I like the blue shop towels (BTW, a lot cheaper if you buy a case at a time.)

What I don't like is tearing off a corner when I want just a small piece. I use a fillet knife to cut the rolls into various lengths of short rolls. I put one on my sandpaper roll just above the lathe so I can easily tear off just what I need, often just a short piece.

Attachment 414049

JKJ
    Great idea. I assume you mean an electric fillet knife?

I wonder if my bandsaw could do this???

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Latham View Post
    Great idea. I assume you mean an electric fillet knife?

I wonder if my bandsaw could do this???

T
    No, I use a very sharp and fairly long fillet knife from my surf fishing gear. (I "saw" a little as I cut) With a sharp edge it cuts easily through the roll leaving smooth edges. I make these short rolls from about 2" up to about 1/2 a roll for various uses in the shop. For paper towels that have a half/sheet perforation, a 1/2 length roll gives approx square sheets.

I don't have an electric fillet knife so I don't know how that would work. The manual one is quick and easy.

The guy who told me about this years ago used a bandsaw so I tried that first. What a mess! Maybe it would work better with a very fine-toothed blade, don't know. I like the fillet knife a lot better.

JKJ