Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand of paper towel?

What brand of paper towel?

For those of you who apply finish to bowls, what brand of paper towels do you use?

It's been quite a while since I've applied finish (I use General Finishes Wood Turners Finish, water-based). I had forgotten the brand and I know that there was a specific brand people liked.

Thanks!

Harvey

I have been applying finish with a cosmetic sponge wedge that I buy at Rite-aid. I think that it comes in a pack of 32 that have to be partially torn apart. The brand name is Daylogic. I mention this because some of the other sponges (like the ones that come in an assortment of sizes in the bag) swell up when I use with poly, shellac or a solvent. I got the idea to do this on SMC.

I remember that people prefer a certain paper towel too but for the life of me can't remember which one either.
    I generally use flannel rags cuz they hold up better
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I also use cosmetic sponges to apply wipe on finishes. I bought these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/FantaSea-Late...52&sr=8-4&th=1

I use Bounty paper towels to wipe off excess finish when required (Danish oil or Minwax Antique Oil style finishes).

I chose the cosmetic sponges and Bounty paper towels based on recommendations of others on this site.

Dave

Blue shop towels work well for water based wipe on finishes.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

FWIW, I use the white paper towels that come in a box from the paint department at the big box store to apply finishes. I have seen where the blue towels have made things turn blue (when using CA for finishing) and close examination shows that they are shredding and shedding blue fibers into the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Ghesser View Post
    For those of you who apply finish to bowls, what brand of paper towels do you use?

It's been quite a while since I've applied finish (I use General Finishes Wood Turners Finish, water-based). I had forgotten the brand and I know that there was a specific brand people liked.
    I like the blue shop towels (BTW, a lot cheaper if you buy a case at a time.)

What I don't like is tearing off a corner when I want just a small piece. I use a fillet knife to cut the rolls into various lengths of short rolls. I put one on my sandpaper roll just above the lathe so I can easily tear off just what I need, often just a short piece.

lathe_wall_papertowel_IMG_5.jpg

JKJ

I use the Blue towels from Costco. Cheap. Less lint than the regular paper towels. I cut a sheet into smaller squares depending on the use, and keep them handy in a ziplock. Use once and toss them on the floor to dry. Prevent spontaneous combustion.

I buy a roll of cheesecloth and cut a piece off and fold it over a few times to apply wipe-on finish...

I use the box of white shop towels for general finish application. The only time I get particular is when doing CA finish on pens, and then I only used Viva.

I use blue shop towels, I seem to get better results with them then with the white ones. I hardly ever use a whole one at time, so I have them cut up into 6"x 6" quarters. Which are just the right size for me, and how I apply my finish.

Len

My brother in law worked for a janitorial supply house that went out of business. He had a two car garage full of the company inventory for his route. When he got word that the place closed. He was told to get whatever he could for it and it was his to keep. He had a few boxes of paper towels that had water damaged boxes but were dry. He gave me a case. big 12 inch diameter dense rolls of paper towels. So I use those in the shop. Price was right. They work well for most things, but for some reason WOP goes on better with a cotton rag.

I use Viva brand paper towels.I find them softer than other brands.

Thanks to all for your feedback. Much appreciated. Somewhere in the back of my little head, a voice I hear says Viva, Viva. I'll give Viva a try. I gotta finish the bowl.

Bounty white select size are the only paper towels that I will use either in shop or house. I have had very good luck using the paper towel for both applying "Danish " oil blend finish, wiping off excess, and then setting the piece on a dry section of paper towel to dry. Very little lint issue with the towels.